Popular Tags: [View All]
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Passing in Viticulture wasn't quite as subject, to the timing of when you pass, as it is in Tuscany. When we played we were a more casual about it, passing at the end of our turn or maybe the beginning. In Viticulture year end upkeep is done together so it didn't really seem to matter. However in Tuscany, with the way passing in Winter can free up spots for your opponents, I think we need to clarify the rule. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but would like to run the following to scenarios passed the experts. Both apply to a two player game.

---

Scenario 1
:

Player A has one worker left to play during winter. He is first in the walk up chart and uses his worker to fill a wine order.

Player B has one worker as well and uses hers to sell a wine for victory points as the fill wine order action space is now blocked and she does not have a Grande Worker.

It's Player A's turn and with no workers left he passes, and goes through the End of Year clean up process.

Player B follows the same process on her turn.

Scenario 2:

Player A has one worker left to play during winter. He is first in the walk up chart and uses his worker to fill a wine order.

He then immediately passes, as he no longer has any workers to take another turn later. He goes through the End of Year clean up process, which includes retrieving workers.

Player B uses her worker to also fill a wine order, as the spot is now free.

---

Looking through the rulebook I found this under "End of Year Upkeep" (emphasis mine):

Quote:
When you use your turn to pass out of winter (which you may do even if you have workers remaining), you immediately do the following in this order

So I'm 99% sure that scenario 1 is the correct one. I can't find anything to specifically say this but I believe that on your turn you can either place a worker or pass, but not both. So if you choose to place a worker, then you wait until the turn comes back around to you, before you can chose to pass (even if it's obvious you will pass because you have no workers left).

Is this correct?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules, Page 3:

"Spring... you may either a) place 1 worker... or b) pass"

Scenario A is correct according to the rules.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
passing in Winter can free up spots for your opponents

I hadn't realized this. Is this intended?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt_W wrote:
venrondua wrote:
passing in Winter can free up spots for your opponents

I hadn't realized this. Is this intended?

For the Tuscany expansion it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Passing in winter in Tuscany (not regular Viticulture) will immediately remove all of your workers from the board. This can result in opening up action spaces for opponents who have yet to pass out of winter. This effect is fully intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shlomi ben-naim
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
does the first person to pass in winter gets the first choice in the wake up chart? if not how do we determine order in the wake up chart?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, when you pass out of winter on the extended board, you immediately carry out all of the end-of-year steps (including choosing your wake-up time for the next year).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Magno Rosa
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
How does it work if you use all your workers before winter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You still pass into winter like in any other season, and when it's your turn in winter, you pass out of winter and do all of the end-of-year steps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Magno Rosa
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the quick reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.