$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
Shawn McCool
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I have to say that my wife and I have had some really good fun with Mage Knight.. We love the many ways in which you can build pools. I love the idea of torching academics, she is a friend to all!

We play cooperative or competitive but without battling each other. We do NOT want to battle one another.

Our problem is... After having played the game 8 times.. We feel like there's something lacking in the end-game. Is it possible that the Lost Legion or other expansions influence this?

For some reason, we both feel very strongly that Mage Knight is beautiful and lovely and... incomplete?

I'd love to get some of your thoughts on this subject!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lost Legion definitely improves the co-op ending (that we also found to be quite disappointing in the basic game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShawnMcCool wrote:
First of all, I have to say that my wife and I have had some really good fun with Mage Knight.. We love the many ways in which you can build pools. I love the idea of torching academics, she is a friend to all!

We play cooperative or competitive but without battling each other. We do NOT want to battle one another.

Our problem is... After having played the game 8 times.. We feel like there's something lacking in the end-game. Is it possible that the Lost Legion or other expansions influence this?

For some reason, we both feel very strongly that Mage Knight is beautiful and lovely and... incomplete?

I'd love to get some of your thoughts on this subject!

I don't really know what to suggest because I've played the base game solo, 2p and 3p, and I've played 4p using vassal pbem to avoid down time and I don't find it in any way lacking or incomplete. In fact it's my favorite solo game by a country mile and it's the only non-wargame that I rate a full 10.

Now, having said that, it doesn't imply in any way that your reaction is 'wrong' because personal gaming tastes are 50% of any reaction to a game.

It's true that Lost Legion does improve the game a tad, but not so much that it radically changes my liking of the game.

Personally I prefer to play competitively, but I'm happy to play co-op if that is the general preference of others. It's not a clincher for me.

After 8 plays you will have a good understanding of the flow, so maybe it just isn't a game that floats your boat. Other than that, maybe if you can be more specific about what makes it feel unfinished to you other than it's not possible to always 'win'. An enjoyable gaming expereience is always the win to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say more about what's lacking for you?

I find the end of the game climactic, but we usually play with city levels slightly higher than the default given by the rules. If bigger final battles would give you what you're looking for, and you haven't pumped up the cities, try that!

I think Lost Legion is a great expansion, but it doesn't really change pacing or feel in any way. It improves the beginning of the game by varying your starting deck more, and improves the rest of the game just by adding variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
ShawnMcCool wrote:

What's happening at the end of your games? Are you easily defeating the cities? Or is "defeat the cities" too bland a goal?

If you don't have Lost Legion or Tezla, we've found that Blitz Cooperative is actually more challenging than Full Cooperative as with only 4 rounds it's far more difficult to recover from mistakes, and with the clock so drastically against you there are tough decisions to be made. If you have Tezla, we've found the Avatar scenarios (particularly the 4-round ones) also very challenging. Volkare from Lost Legion is probably the biggest challenge of them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you can specify what you are missing it is difficult to help you. How do your games usually end? Do you win the coop-games easily? (I have no experience with competetive game.)
Especially for coop after some games you should increase the citylevel. If your final city has a level of 10 or 11 you have a much more epic battle giving you the feeling that you earned the victory. But most people need more than 10 games to reach the point where the standard difficulty becomes too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
I think Lost Legion is a great expansion, but it doesn't really change pacing or feel in any way.
I just wanted to put it out there that I would always prefer the scenarios in Volkare to the base game. I believe it does add something - Volkare himself. He moves across the middle of the map in a randomized, programmed way. You have some idea of where he could go, and you really don't want to be near him if he "decides" to attack. This causes much chagrin when you're getting chased by him and need to drastically change where you are on the map.

One of his scenarios requires that you beat him to a city, conquer it, then try to recover before he hits you with *his* army. The other has you rushing out to power up before he makes it to your portal. You have to come back and confront him at some point when you think you have leveled up enough, but before it is too late to make it back to defeat him. In one of those scenarios, he can randomly "hire" one of the first couple of units in the offer if you don't hire them first. You remove the unit and add to his army's strength. It has caused me to change my mind about buying a unit and/or which one, and that is a pretty cool twist.

Again, we don't know what you think is lacking, but these are more interesting endings than "beat the city" for sure, and they add plenty of elements to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
I've played 4p using vassal pbem to avoid down time.

@philmcd: Curious what this "vassal pbem" is, and how it helps avoid down time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boucher
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kiloforce wrote:
philmcd wrote:

Here you go!

PBEM - play by email, probably.

You can use Vassal to play a turn, save then email the file to your next player who then download and play, save, rinse and repeat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kiloforce wrote:
philmcd wrote:

Vassal is a free program that lets you play boardgames against opponents anywhere in the world. Originally designed for wargames but now features many hundreds of boardgames of all kinds.

PBEM stands for play by email. You take your turn and send the file to the other or next player. This allows long or complicated games to be played in bite sized chunks. Thus it cuts out all down time too. Very handy for getting the full 4p experience out of MK.

It was originally called VASL, as it began life as Virtual ASL (Advanced Squad Leader), specifically for the ASL wargame, but it's come a long way since then.

You can download the vassal program here
http://www.vassalengine.org
Also, if you click the MODULE tab at the top of that page, you can check out the hundreds of other game modules that are available.

And the MK game module here
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Mage_Knight_Board_Game

You need to install the vassal program and then load the game module you want to play. Although once you've got a game started, merely double clicking on the game file sent by your opponent will automatically load vassal as well provided you've got it installed.

I mostly play by pbem but you can also play live games, finding opponents in the vassal 'lobby' or by pre-arranging to meet friends in the vassal lobby.

Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
Lost Legion definitely improves the co-op ending (that we also found to be quite disappointing in the basic game).
+1.
I also felt that the core set scenarios were a bit lackluster since you're ultimately just trying to beat your own high score.

In the Lost Legion scenarios you're competing against Volkare which I found a lot more satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
Vassal is a free program that lets you play boardgames against opponents anywhere in the world. Originally designed for wargames but now features many hundreds of boardgames of all kinds.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.