SPACEBOY
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Since I bought WotR on 2007 I've played it at least 30+ times and it's one of my all-time favorite board games.

Now, I'm thinking on buying the second edition (rather than updating my first edition) specially to be able to use an expansion.

That's it: if you could choose just one (Lords or Warriors) which one do you think would be more "essential" or "rewarding"?

Thanks meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heidebrecht
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It partly depends on what you can find available I suppose - Warriors is widely available now - not sure about Lords, and it depends where you intend to shop for it. I have heard a reprint is on the way, but someone may correct me otherwise.

In my experience, if I had to choose one (and I would just suggest to buy both), I might go with Lords. It is so well balanced and adds just enough flavour/intrigue/strategy/tactics to the game without changing the glorious dynamics of the gameplay that is the base game. I can't ever imagine myself playing without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stark
msg tools
Eventually I would just get both expansions as they are both fantastic, but I would start with Lords of Middle Earth. It is indeed being reprinted later this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
I feel LoME adds about the same amount of depth, but with less components. WoME adds a lot of cards plus a die each, while LoME mostly adds just new dice while swapping a few cards.

I think LoME is also quite a bit cheaper. So, I'd probably recommend that over WoE at this point. But then I haven't actually played the game with just WoME so it's harder for me to comment on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
flag msg tools
Lords of Middle Earth is both for Gameplay and Lore Reason the more rewarding one for me! WoME adds a lot stuff to organize without getting it back in "Game fun". Additionally WoME screws the (perfect) balance a little (at least in our few Games so far).

LoME on the other hand offers you lots of cool opportunities on both sides, Gandalf the White Denial, Balrog chasing the fellowship, make a Bastion out of Lorien with Galadriel, the lesser Minion dice, the alternative use of Rings and last but not least Council of Elrond. And many more stuff. So if you can get it for a reasonable price go for LoME.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Greubel
United States
Merrick
New York
flag msg tools
I know this doesn't really answer your question but I'd like to make the case for getting both. First Lords hasn't exactly had a great track record for being widely in stock. You have to to assume warriors will follow the same pattern (a couple months in stock then nine months where its unobtainable). For that reason alone I'd recommend grabbing both while you can later this month.

Additionally, for me they really add different things. Lords add much more from the story (in the form of recognizable characters) while warriors adds more in terms of game machanics. If you are really locked in to buying 1 I would say if you want more Tolkien buy lords while if you just want to add more to the game Itself buy warriors. (I'll be waiting for people to argue with this)

Again I'd recommend buying both if you have the means. Having the option to mix and match and change the game experience and decisions from game to game really makes war of the ring shine even more than it already does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you have to just choose one, I would choose Warriors. I think it adds more to the game play. You have played the game for 9 years so probably are looking for more different scenarios, which Warriors will give you. Lords is more of incremental small changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Warriors over Lords as it adds more "different" things but they are both very good.

Another way to change things up before buying an expansion is the Breaking of the Fellowship scenario. Have you played it?

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/188886/war-ring-...

http://www.warofthering.eu/scenario.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SPACEBOY
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys for your replies! Undoubtedly, a great community this is laugh

I plan to acquire base game plus expansion in Spanish (my mother language) and I think there's availability for both products in Spanish now.

In part WOME calls my attention more due to the new factions it includes (and its respective cool miniatures), on the other hand, I think LOME would fit better with my gaming/literature flavor preferences... So, at the end of the day I think I will end getting base 2nd edition + LOME... And, maybe in a future I'll be able to get WOME.

Thanks for your time meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SPACEBOY
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:

Another way to change things up before buying an expansion is the Breaking of the Fellowship scenario. Have you played it?

No, but I knew of its existence. Is it easy to set up and play? Does it expand the playtime? In your opinion, is it a good variant, is it well balanced?

Anyway, thanks so much for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like having both, but I liked Lord a bit better. WoME has some fun changes and mechanical options, but I like the flavor and added strategic decisions you get out of LOME.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
tallgrant wrote:
I like having both, but I liked Lord a bit better. WoME has some fun changes and mechanical options, but I like the flavor and added strategic decisions you get out of LOME.

Agreed LOME adds new strategies to the game; WOME, i think, adds to the existing strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
FinrondFelagund wrote:
Veldrin wrote:

No, but I knew of its existence. Is it easy to set up and play? Does it expand the playtime? In your opinion, is it a good variant, is it well balanced?

Anyway, thanks so much for your time.

Yes, it is just as easy to set up as the base game.

No, it takes about the same time (or slightly less) as the base game.

Yes. I designed it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.