Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Wilson
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
Let's take a poll.

The Claim: Scythe is a game on rails. The optimal strategy is determined by your faction and player mat combination. While many options available to you, if you want to win, you must focus on your "strengths":
- Bottom-row actions corresponding to home base territories.
- Cheapest bottom-row actions.
- Bottom row actions with best coin return.

The Counter Argument
: Scythe is a dynamic game. Randomness and player interaction forces players to adjust their strategies, and player flexibility is critical to winning. Randomness comes from:
- Objective cards.
- Encounter cards.
- Factory cards.
- Combat cards.
- Structure bonuses.
Player interaction comes from:
- Combat.
- Threat of combat.
- Movement/area control denial.

Poll
1. In 2-PLAYER games with EXPERIENCED PLAYERS, what percentage of winning is determined by flexibility to randomness/interaction vs. optimizing a static state problem.
(% Flex : % On rails)
0% Flexibility : 100% On rails
10% : 90%
20% : 80%
30% : 70%
40% : 60%
50% : 50%
60% : 40%
70% : 30%
80% : 20%
90% : 10%
100% : 0%
2. In 4-PLAYER games with EXPERIENCED PLAYERS, what percentage of winning is determined by flexibility to randomness/interaction vs. optimizing a static-state problem.
(% Flex : % On rails)
0% Flexibility : 100% On rails
10% : 90%
20% : 80%
30% : 70%
40% : 60%
50% : 50%
60% : 40%
70% : 30%
80% : 20%
90% : 10%
100% : 0%
      97 answers
Poll created by bryantw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Choo choo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Campbell
Canada
Banff
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, results are looking rather consistently and subjectively inconclusive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neilan Naicker
United States
Santa Monica
flag msg tools
mbmb
Probably shouldn't have spread the sample size over such a ludicrously granular array of options.

This is a silly poll anyway. Does it matter?

My perception is that I'm forced to make interesting key choices in every (granted mostly 4p+) game of Scythe I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Wilson
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the comments and for all those that voted. (Something small us American's can vote on that's not depressing.)

My games have all been with new players or vs automa, so I haven't experienced a heavier dynamic game. I've been worried that I "solved" the game, worried that there was little more to discover. That's why I made the poll.

The forum is split in their perceptions of 2-player games. Half say the game is more static and half say the game is more dynamic...with a VERY slight bias for more dynamic. In a 4-player game, the consensus is that going with a simple "optimize my board" strategy won't guarantee a win, but that board optimization is still an important part of the game.

What kinds of dynamic choices do you find most interesting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Darric wrote:

This is a silly poll website anyway. Does it matter?

In the grand scheme of things, right?
It's a website for board game navel-gazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.