Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunter E
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tavarua has quickly become a go-to game in my group, and we've been playing it pretty much every weekend. This weekend one of the players discovered a cool trick: While it's attractive to paddle far out at the start of the game to start catching point-scoring waves right away, it might actually be worth it to paddle out one or two spaces, catch one of the nearer waves, and either wipe out or ride to shore. The few points you get for that wave probably isn't going to make a difference in final scoring, but at a cost of a couple of turns you can quickly pick up two stoke (one for catching, one for shore or wipe-out) and get right back out there to catch a big wave with either two stoke or a stoke and a card. Interested to hear if anyone else has tried this approach?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter E
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(I kind of really like this if it does turn out to be worth it after further play, super thematic to hop on a quick wave first thing in the day to get psyched up before going out and riding the big competition waves.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done it a few times, and not always at the start of the game. Sometimes I've had to spend all my stoke tokens just to stay on my board until I get to shore, or spent them all before being forced to bail (so no stoke for riding to shore). I find it can then be beneficial to hop on a wave in the 1 or 2 spot to grab some stoke tokens. Of course, this also depends on what waves are occupied, and where people are competing for waves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Hunter!

This is a really cool strategy that you've discovered! I try not to weigh in too much on the strategy side of things for my games, as I think it's the most fun to discover things like this for yourself, so I'm glad you're sharing your experience!

Stay stoked!! -Cody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.