Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past» Forums » Rules

Subject: Book 1 Adventure 1 terrain clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Moore
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
The terrain has me a bit confused on the first adventure. The book says to include the blocking black terrain card, but I don't see any fully blocking or impassible terrain that should be placed in the first mission. Am I missing something there? And are the cars just slow terrain? Also, do I understand the fire escape correctly - it is adjacent to both elevated and non elevated terrain, right? So someone can use melee attacks on a person they want to hit regardless of whether the figure they want to hit is high or low, just as long as they are next to the fire escape? Also, since the fire escape has a yellow border, does it cost an extra movement to move into?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turtle Freak
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think numbering your questions would help here:

Q1. "Am I missing something there?"
A1. If I recall correctly, there are a couple spaces of blocking terrain on the rooftops of the two buildings in one of the tiles. Look for the black border.

Q2. "And are the cars just slow terrain?"
A2. Yes.

Q3. "Also, do I understand the fire escape correctly - it is adjacent to both elevated and non elevated terrain, right?"
A3. Correct.

Q4. "So someone can use melee attacks on a person they want to hit regardless of whether the figure they want to hit is high or low, just as long as they are next to the fire escape?"
A4. Yes.

Q5. "Also, since the fire escape has a yellow border, does it cost an extra movement to move into?"
A5. Yeah, anything with a border around it picks up the attributes of the corresponding terrain rules, so cars and fire escapes are identical in that regard. (EDIT: Except security cameras; those aren't rough terrain even though they have the red border.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moore
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Turtle Freak wrote:
I think numbering your questions would help here:

Q1. "Am I missing something there?"
A1. If I recall correctly, there are a couple spaces of blocking terrain on the rooftops of the two buildings in one of the tiles. Look for the black border.

Q2. "And are the cars just slow terrain?"
A2. Yes.

Q3. "Also, do I understand the fire escape correctly - it is adjacent to both elevated and non elevated terrain, right?"
A3. Correct.

Q4. "So someone can use melee attacks on a person they want to hit regardless of whether the figure they want to hit is high or low, just as long as they are next to the fire escape?"
A4. Yes.

Q5. "Also, since the fire escape has a yellow border, does it cost an extra movement to move into?"
A5. Yeah, anything with a border around it picks up the attributes of the corresponding terrain rules, so cars and fire escapes are identical in that regard.

Haha, yeah, I should have numbered my questions. I was on break and in a rush at work lol. Thanks! This really clears things up! So I guess you can't duck behind a car since it is only slow terrain and not blocking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turtle Freak
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the only things that interfere with ranged attacks are black borders and the steam jet tile I think. You can shoot through elevated terrain too even when it seems like the building would be in the way. We have to just imagine there are windows they can shoot through or that it simply doesn't shield them well enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moore
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Turtle Freak wrote:
Yeah, the only things that interfere with ranged attacks are black borders and the steam jet tile I think. You can shoot through elevated terrain too even when it seems like the building would be in the way. We have to just imagine there are windows they can shoot through or that it simply doesn't shield them well enough.

Gotcha! Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan F
Canada
flag msg tools
Turtle Freak wrote:
Except security cameras; those aren't rough terrain even though they have the red border.)

Can I ask how you figured this out? We had our first plays on Sunday and couldn't determine what the ruling was, so we decided they were rough terrain based on the red border. I think that made the adventure basically unwinnable for the Turtles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Zom B wrote:
Turtle Freak wrote:
Except security cameras; those aren't rough terrain even though they have the red border.)

Can I ask how you figured this out? We had our first plays on Sunday and couldn't determine what the ruling was, so we decided they were rough terrain based on the red border. I think that made the adventure basically unwinnable for the Turtles.

Kevin Wilson said so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turtle Freak
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I didn't figure that one out -- just saw it discussed elsewhere on these forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.