12 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: 4P or 5P - huge difference in downtime/game length? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 3 other players for Seafall, was going to start a campsign, and one of the players is asking if his gf can join in. We'll have about 4 hrs msx once a week to play it. If I crack the whip a bit about AP, will 5P be doable with 4hrs per game max?

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve w
United States
milwaukee
wi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but not two games. We are playing 5P right now and had a game go 4.5 hours the other day, but it was like three weeks since our last game so we all forgot a bunch of details. We played two games yesterday in about 6 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh that's good to know. I'm usually a 'more the merrier!' type of gamer, so I'm happy to have 5 if it's going to be ok

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We had a 5 player game go 6 hours

because we had so many side conversations about the election

Tip:

Stay Focused!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the above; as long as you keep the game moving, you should be fine. While the five player game does take longer, I would point to the tighter board as being a more significant difference. As long as your group is ok with the "increased player interaction", then you're good to go.

Another possible advantage to starting with five players: we started the prologue with five players, but one player decided it wasn't his thing and dropped out after the prologue. Even so, we ended up with a solid four-player group that's really enjoying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm also playing in a 5-player game. 4 hours should be more than enough from what I've seen (prologue + 2 games in).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Minnigh
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that should be plenty. We have been playing with 5 players and the games haven't gone over 3 hours. We also have never gone more than 6 rounds, but that also seems to be quite common

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Tryhard
msg tools
I've had more fun in our group of four when one of us was missing and we've played with just three. Not a slam on our players -- I think it's also been more fun for them when I've been out and the other three have played -- it's just a scrappier, less ponderous experience with three people than with four.

I'm afraid that unless turns were very brisk or everyone had a book to read on their phone, five would be a bit eye-glazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there not much interaction then? No inventive for me to pay attention to what my opponents are doing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Random
msg tools
I play in 2 campaigns, one that is 4 and one that is 5. In the group of 5 we even have someone who checks out from time to time because that is just how he is. Both groups finish sessions in 2-3 hours depending on how complicated the session was. Just try and ask people to stay focused and plan their turns ahead of time. Honestly there might be things that change your turn based on advisors that show up or where people move. Realistically though you can plan ahead of time and do 1-2 turns while other people are reading a captains booke entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Random
msg tools
gamjuven wrote:
Yeah that should be plenty. We have been playing with 5 players and the games haven't gone over 3 hours. We also have never gone more than 6 rounds, but that also seems to be quite common

Wait, 6 rounds? Or 6 years? The early sessions can finish in 6-9 rounds, but I can't imagine you guys are hitting the 18-25 glory targets in 6 rounds O_O

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
Is there not much interaction then? No inventive for me to pay attention to what my opponents are doing?

This is a game with a significant potential for player-vs-player conflict, depending on the players involved. Even in a "peaceful" group, you need to be looking at what the others are doing so you can judge what you have time to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.