$5.00
$20.00
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For auction geeklists, it would be really nice to be able to subscribe to the geeklist but not get a notification when someone does a mass price drop on all of their items.

In essence, I want to have the option to subscribe to new geeklist items, edits to existing geeklist items, or both, and have this still be separate from comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Martial Solal - Bluesine || Balade du 10 Mars || Just Friends || In & Out
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silvergoose wrote:
For auction geeklists, it would be really nice to be able to subscribe to the geeklist but not get a notification when someone does a mass price drop on all of their items.

In essence, I want to have the option to subscribe to new geeklist items, edits to existing geeklist items, or both, and have this still be separate from comments.

I can see how that could be useful in an auction list, but can say from experience that it could be a detriment to other sorts of list. Back when I was running the Campaign to Make the Rules Folders More Useful, I maintained a list that had over a hundred entries, and I had to know when any of them changed so I could reimburse patrons for their geek gold payouts. It was a big job even with the notifications, and would have been hopelessly time intensive without them.

I'd assume that the same code runs both auction and non-auction lists, so any changes to the methodology would need to be looked at from various angles. My guess is that to handle them differently would require adding a property to the lists that I doubt they currently have, or rewriting subscription notification code to look at the location of the calling list, and I think it unlikely that programming resources would be used for that in the short term (at least until after the front page changes are installed and running smoothly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly can't disagree that it's unlikely to be prioritized anytime soon, and I certainly would expect that if it did happen, the default would be "treat edits exactly like new items for subscriptions" and you'd have to manually change that (as you do for comments vs items!).

But I figured it can't hurt to bring the suggestion forward since I couldn't find a similar one, and if a lot of people chimed in saying that would be great, there'd be a better sense of how important it might be.

Appreciate the response, though, Sphere!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.