Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh yes, I managed to convince the wife that having a mate over for the weekend would allow her more time to focus clearly and without distraction on the duel problems of planning and reporting for her classroom (she's a teacher) and her new Tupperware interest (she joined that secretive cult a couple of weeks ago). Trusting wify! MWwwwaaahahahahahahaha laugh

Several games were played: Taluva, Polarity, Power Grid, Duel of Ages, Fairy Tale, Great Wall of China before she finally realised she'd been hoodwinked and beat me till my friend cried. cry

Taluva was an excellent game - as usual - very tense and interesting, and as always very close. Over two or three games (my memory hasn't fully return after my beating) we tried out new strategies including - using huts to start new settlements in places that would prevent each other from placing a tile as a volcano eruption, placing tiles in such a way to deliberately create holes around ares of expansion for each other and many other ideas. Collectively I've played the game close to 20 times and have far from tired of it yet - indeed - because of it's short playing time yet thought provoking simplicity - it is one of those games that seems to be calling me even in my sleep (now that is a worry!)

Power Grid was an excellent game - we played twice - the first time playing just Step 1 to get the idea of the rules. The second game was definately interesting - it's a wonderful thing when a game about a topic so unusually bland can incite deep and engaging interest from the players. There is certainly a lot going on and the game is a fantastic one I look forward to playing again. It strikes me that Power Grid is a sort of game that revolves very carefully arounda 'procedure' - it's a very systematic game and the order and limitations of the elements within that system create the tempo and tension in the game that is a pleasure to take part in. I understand now why people could use a calculator as a player aid - though I would never play that way myself! My only criticism is also a positive in a way - I ALWAYS seemed to be 1 (that's ONE for those who missed it) Electro ($$$) short of being able to do what was necessary. Thankfully I am not an accountant.

Great Wall was a very interesting game - a lot like a gamer's version of Loot and with a similar feel to it as Condottiere. All in all a great game which I look forward to playing with more than two.

Fairy Tale - ahh sweet Fairy Tale. After 140+ plays this game still hasn't worn out it' welcome - each turn - each hand of cards that is handed to you - provides a nice selection of interesting choices and the game all in all just works so simply and nicely.

Now - Duel of Ages. I have come to the realisation that the black dice are heavily weighted and always roll well - DO YOU HEAR ME VENATIC!!!

I played the white team, 6 characters on 3 platers. I was doomed. My white dice couldn't hack it - I rolled more 12's that day than a man has any right to roll cry Regardless of me losing in the end (with 2 points and 2 characters left alive!!) it was quite hilarious. Despite the fact that I had the worst run of luck I have ever experienced (which my wife referred to as 'cosmic balancing') I really did enjoy this session. My Pile of Weewaks ran around with the Footpad and caused all sorts of subterrainian mischief, and the game was a funny one - if with a tragic overtone. I look forward to my next session!

Finally I come to the game Polarity. For some odd reason I seem to have affinity for this game. I won both games we played (even one while mildly intoxicated). Afterwards I even managed to create a six leaner. My friend nearly tore off his own face in disgust - but that will teach him for having fingers like Polish Sausages!!! WHO HAS THE LAST LAUGH JIMBO!!!!! MWWWWwwwahahahahahaha!

Yes - I got overconfident trying to add a seventh disk and ruined the whole thing. Damn shame really - for a moment I saw myself on top of the world - Magnetic Othello piece in hand - ready for anything, for anyone! But my glory was not to be.

Polarity could have been a game where the novelty was all there was to it - there are plenty of games out there that are like that. But it is a fun game that requires skill as well as thought.

All in all a great weekend. Although I have to admit that I am running out of 'game day excuses':

"sweety - he's here to help me mend the blinds...several hours and beers later...yes sweety - we're just about to do them, I've just got to deliver a cube to Denver, supply New York with power and sieze an alien Monolith with my giant Rock Strider armada...Yes sweety, the ones that look like angry beetles..."

Cheers.

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey McBeth
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch out for that Tupperware cult, it is quite capable of being even more expensive than our habit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls