Subject: Yours, Mine, Ours rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: answer_in_the_rulebook [+] [View All]
Chillbo Camron

New York
msg tools
designer
publisher
Some cards state 'a Hero's roll' - 'a Test just rolled' etc. without making any reference as to WHOM if refers - yourself or another player.

Although one card (forget which) DID state that it may be used on another Hero.

So, must a card state this fact for it to be played on someone else?
This would be very helpful to know during a Co-op Game.
(And, of course, a competitive one)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is obvious in most cases. Can you give a specific example?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chillbo Camron

New York
msg tools
designer
publisher
I have read through all the cards and do believe they are very self-explanatory.

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Mosaic
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chillbogames wrote:
I have read through all the cards and do believe they are very self-explanatory.

I was puzzled to see someone sporting designer and publisher badges posting rules questions before going through the game, but following the badges it looks as though you've only produced one game, the game folder for which has no threads whatsoever (nor any ratings or comments and only one owner). Should you have a more successful release in future and find yourself fielding questions about your own rules, you may have reason to reflect back on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chillbo Camron

New York
msg tools
designer
publisher
YES! Well said!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Commorato
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Chillbogames wrote:
Some cards state 'a Hero's roll' - 'a Test just rolled' etc. without making any reference as to WHOM if refers - yourself or another player.

Although one card (forget which) DID state that it may be used on another Hero.

So, must a card state this fact for it to be played on someone else?
This would be very helpful to know during a Co-op Game.
(And, of course, a competitive one)

Yes, some of the cards do have to be read more carefully than others. The Rulebook, in my opinion, does tend to be a bit 'fiddly' as other instructional videos have pointed out.
Even these videos are NOT without their share of errors.

However there are no 'stupid' questions to ask - that's what BGG is all about! We're here to help our fellow gamers!

Sphere wrote:
Chillbogames wrote:

I was puzzled to see someone sporting designer and publisher badges posting rules questions before going through the game, but following the badges it looks as though you've only produced one game, the game folder for which has no threads whatsoever (nor any ratings or comments and only one owner). Should you have a more successful release in future and find yourself fielding questions about your own rules, you may have reason to reflect back on this.

Kindly disregard other 'negative', downgrading remarks you might get from others on here.

Sphere, how did you answer the question of this post other than pointing out what you consider to be 'flaws' and/or 'disadvantages' to someone asking for help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chillbo Camron

New York
msg tools
designer
publisher
That's quite OK, Mercom.

Everyone has a 'voice' and they're quite welcomed to use it.

No harm done - in fact, I laughed at myself when I read Sphere's post - it's all good!

Thanks for the reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Mosaic
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mercom wrote:
Sphere, how did you answer the question of this post other than pointing out what you consider to be 'flaws' and/or 'disadvantages' to someone asking for help?

False question, dude, as you well know.

I've answered literally thousands of rules questions on this board, and been publicly acknowledged by a number of successful designers for the assistance I've provided. The question here had been answered so my help wasn't required. I made a different point and I stand by it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stewart
United States
Universal City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've had this game on the shelf for a while, and I want to get it out again, so this question caught my interest, and I pulled the game down to take a look. I looked through the Event cards, guessing that's probably where this sort of confusion would come, and I think the OP might have had "Too Close" (original set) in mind, which says "Play to force a Test just rolled to be entirely Re-rolled. This may be used on yourself or another Hero or Villain." That last sentence isn't common on other cards. It might not be on another cards at all. They mostly say "any hero" or "every hero". I expect that's where the confusion is from.

I've also noticed that when the TH and CH events say "any hero", they almost always add "(including yourself)" after it. The exception is "Daring Escape", which omits the parenthetical phrase, possibly because it's already pretty full of text. None of the events in the original set have the phrase, either.

Overall, I agree with the assertion that the cards are generally self-explanatory, but there's definitely inconsistency in how they're written that can lead to confusion like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chillbo Camron

New York
msg tools
designer
publisher
zzantozz wrote:

Overall, I agree with the assertion that the cards are generally self-explanatory, but there's definitely inconsistency in how they're written that can lead to confusion like this.

Thank you and YES, that is exactly what I was trying to say (but, didn't do it too well, I guess.)
The format of the cards are not consistent with one another.
Maybe I read into them too much but, as a game designer, I'm thinking that way. Even over-thinking.

You, sir, have hit the OP right on the head!
And I thank you for it.

However, Mattias's rules recommendation has been a game-changer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.