3 Posts

Key to the City – London» Forums » Variants

Subject: No pass rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik-Jan van Oosten
msg tools
mbmbmb
We've found that playing without the option to pass gives a more interesting play as you are forced to spent your meeples or set sail. Both in the management of your meeples/resources (more careful planning) and in balance (one is no longer rewarded for passing in the near the end of the round to overbid an opponent who has just set sail.
My question to you all is: are we overlooking something? Do your plays have people often passing near the end of the rounds to save up their meeples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Harding
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things I like about Keyflower (and Key To The City) is that you can pass and then act again later in the same round. It seems to me that it would take away from some of the strategy to get rid of that mechanism, In my games, people frequently pass and then act again later in the round,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik-Jan van Oosten
msg tools
mbmbmb
That's the point. After the high-value actions (differs per game on the scoring tiles which actions that are) are taken this rewards players to wait until people have placed their bids and have set sail to overbid them. This advantage can be mitigated by players having to either take least one of their meeples from behind their screens and place it somewhere or to set sail. The "no pass"rule adds some tactics to the game: It can be smart to set sail early to get a lot of meeples so you can be the one to set sail last in the next round. You can decide whether you want to spend only one meeple at a time in your turn if you want to stay in this round longer or if you want to spend more to get to set sail earlier and maybe grab that river tile or keyples.
I've played only one game with the pass rule and it just dragged the game as it rewards inaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.