Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both this game and Napoleon in Europe were made by Eagle Games, now out of business. Both games are pre-WWI era games and, excuse me for my lack of older war history/tactics, but I recall both EARLY U.S. Civil War and Napoleonic War tactics were using "old" tactics in that it was the "line up and shoot each other down" method, rather than later newly adopted tactics of advanced flanking, surprise attacks, rear attacks etc..this didn't come about until late in the Civil War from what I've read.

I digress.

So both of these games probably share similar tactics, both are made by Eagle, both have a strategic board AND a tactical "battle map".

So why is the Napoleon game so hard to find and so expensive, while the Civil War game is easier to find and cheaper to acquire? Why is the Napoleon game rated so much higher? For two games that "seem" so much alike, I would think the two would be similar in rarity and price.

Can anyone elaborate?

Thanks!

Edit: oh yeah, both were made in 2001, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm i can try

napolean has a nice deck of random cards that make things intresting, it also has politics: you can try and influence neutral states to come on to your side or make unhappy states in an enimies empire rebel and otehr things

napolean supports up to 7 players (although you may feel a bit had if you end upwith spain or especially the ottamans) and has a war rule, you can not just march into an enemy empire and start carving bits off it you need to be properly at war and use political points (i think that is waht they are called, they power many of teh intresting options in the game) to garrison and integrate states

i ahve played both a few times though prefer american civil war primarily as it is easier to get an game organised, napolean is fun but it is ahrd for me these days to get enough peole in teh smae place at the same time to make it worthwhile

so i guess teh short answer is napolean is alot more involved there is more to consider than constant attrition and stratergy

it is possible to play the game (especially as england) without even fighting but dominating economically and supporting other members of teh grand alliance, why put good british redcoats in front of french troops when you can give asutria teh money to put austrians infront of them instead?

i suppose the reason acw is more easy to obtain than nie as napolean is more popular so people are less likely to give it up

walker red eye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb