$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Pyramid Arcade» Forums » General

Subject: How to introduce pyramid games to a gaming group? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Piggybacking off a thread I saw over in General Gaming. How have you folks introduced the pyramids to folks who aren't familiar with them?

I go to a Meetup group when I have a chance - it ends up being once every month or two, so I don't know people super well. Beyond just posting to the group in advance to say "Hey I just got my copy of Pyramid Arcade, here's a link so you can see what it's about, who's with me???" how have you gotten this on the table? e.g. how do you describe it to entice people, what kinds of folks have you had the best success with, etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Well... how would this be different than introducing any other game?

That is, if you've got a pyramid game you want to play, introduce it, rather than slapping down the box and saying "there's a whole bunch of games we can play with this." Like a deck of cards: if what you want to play is Knaves, you say "hey, how about a 3-player trick-taking game," rather than "hey, this is a deck of cards, and you can play a whole lot of different games with it; who wants to play one?"
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Historically, a lot of people I game with only know Looney Pyramids as "those pieces we play Gnostica with" (and maybe Martian Chess). You don't have to be an Icehouse Evangelist to get people to play a given game with 'mids. One of the nice things about them is that you can pick a game that's well-suited to the players. A pseudo-Martian game system with vague Egyptian allusions is the kind of conceptual overhead that only a small minority will embrace. (Otherwise Looney Pyramids would be bigger than Monopoly by now.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
Historically, a lot of people I game with only know Looney Pyramids as "those pieces we play Gnostica with" (and maybe Martian Chess). You don't have to be an Icehouse Evangelist to get people to play a given game with 'mids. One of the nice things about them is that you can pick a game that's well-suited to the players. A pseudo-Martian game system with vague Egyptian allusions is the kind of conceptual overhead that only a small minority will embrace. (Otherwise Looney Pyramids would be bigger than Monopoly by now.)

For me, it's "those pieces we play Zendo with", except they often describe it instead of naming it.

While playing the first game, you can mention that there are lots of games that you can play with the pyramids, not just this one, whatever you picked. Start with a game you really like, so you can be genuinely enthusiastic about it.

If you start with someone seeing the Arcade box, you can give them the deck of Arcade cards to look though. Maybe something will catch their eye. Otherwise, "There are lots of games you can play, here's one I like."
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For simple easy pure strategy games for introducing to several random people of unknown previous gamer experience, I'd have good success with Blam! (each player needs 1 stash of 5 trios in their color) and Stack Control (needs 5 stashes) - both have simple rules, interesting strategy/tactics, and newbies seem to enjoy them.

In any case, like Rusty said, be ready to propose some concrete specific games which you think you can teach easily and that they would enjoy, rather than just "I have pyramids, shall we play something with them?"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
For simple easy pure strategy games for introducing to several random people of unknown previous gamer experience, I'd have good success with Blam! (each player needs 1 stash of 5 trios in their color) and Stack Control (needs 5 stashes) - both have simple rules, interesting strategy/tactics, and newbies seem to enjoy them.


For games that require 15 pyramids per color, I wish that people would develop variants that use the new Arcade model of 9 pyramids per color. After all, many of the old games just used 15 because that was what there was.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
I wish that people would develop variants that use the new Arcade model of 9 pyramids per color. After all, many of the old games just used 15 because that was what there was.

mb
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.