Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicole Bird
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I have been playing games mostly with my mom and sister lately, and they love pretty games with girly themes. I have Marrying Mr Darcy, and that was a huge success. I also have Lotus, Legacy: Testament of Duke De Crecy, and Castles of Mad King Ludwig which have all been a success as well. I don't want anything to complicated as they really don't care for games with a lot of small rules to remember, Legacy and Castles would probably be as complicated as I would want to go.

So simple, pretty games are what I am looking for, also around 30-60 min long at max

Other games they have enjoyed are Codenames, Ticket to Ride, Telestrations, Get Bit!, and Splendor, but the themes are much less exciting to them.

Thanks in advance for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Dream Home! Yeah, it's a little simple, but if you're looking for a lighter game that some may consider "girly", I think Dream Home might fit the bill!

Also consider Rococo. It's certainly heavier than Dream Home and perhaps a bit heavier than Castles, I'm not sure, but it's an excellent game about making dresses. Some are actually turned off by the theme but I absolutely love its uniqueness. Although you might not be able to get it done in sixty minutes with three players. Tough to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Chell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokaido might work. A fun simple game as a tourist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few card games that have caught my eye recently:

Lotus- a set collecting card game where you try to build flowers with the cards you've collected. It looks like this:

Eternity- a trick-taking card game with some nice looking artwork. Here's one image from the game:

How about something like Takenoko. I've never played it, but it's supposed to be a pretty simple game with an engaging theme- basically irrigating a garden. Here's what it looks like:

Also, my wife and daughters really enjoy the "family-growing" aspect in games like Agricola and Stone Age. That might be something to consider, even though the aesthetics of these games aren't particularly "girly".

Edit: just re-read your post and saw that you already have Lotus. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ri
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Love Letter, Fairy Tale, Parfum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Dream Home and Takenoko

I would also recommend Celestia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Bird
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Dream Home! Yeah, it's a little simple, but if you're looking for a lighter game that some may consider "girly", I think Dream Home might fit the bill!

Also consider Rococo. It's certainly heavier than Dream Home and perhaps a bit heavier than Castles, I'm not sure, but it's an excellent game about making dresses. Some are actually turned off by the theme but I absolutely love its uniqueness. Although you might not be able to get it done in sixty minutes with three players. Tough to say.

Dream Home actually looks like a great choice, and simple, is actually good.

Rococco looks great, but I am scared it may be a bit complicated for them, I will watch some videos and see what I think. Thanks!

Spirit Juggler wrote:
Tokaido might work. A fun simple game as a tourist.

I have played Tokaido online, and it is a beautiful game, but for some reason I always seem to forget about it, but I may get it to play with them and see what they think.

TIM0THY wrote:
A few card games that have caught my eye recently:

Lotus- a set collecting card game where you try to build flowers with the cards you've collected. It looks like this:

Eternity- a trick-taking card game with some nice looking artwork. Here's one image from the game:

How about something like Takenoko. I've never played it, but it's supposed to be a pretty simple game with an engaging theme- basically irrigating a garden. Here's what it looks like:

Also, my wife and daughters really enjoy the "family-growing" aspect in games like Agricola and Stone Age. That might be something to consider, even though the aesthetics of these games aren't particularly "girly".

Edit: just re-read your post and saw that you already have Lotus. modest

I have never even heard of Eternity, thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Also I owned Takenoko at one point, and didn't love it, but I think my mom and sister may like it, so I could probably give it another chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Dixit?

Or, Piece o' Cake?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha. Girly = simple and pretty. shake
Here is a friendly tip for next time: If you are looking for a pretty and simple game, why not put that into the thread title instead of resorting to an old (to me, as a fellow gamer woman, really annoying) stereotype -- especially since the "girls" we are talking about here seem to be, in fact, grown women.

I am sure you meant no harm with your thread title, but this is something to think about next time.

Here are my two recommendations:
- Above and Below: Definitely comparable in complexity to Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy (actually, probably less complicated), this light euro game comes with lovely illustrations and a lot of flavour added to the game by little story/adventure snippets that can happen to your character. This one has been a hit with all my casual gamer friends! (And myself, and I also enjoy much, much heavier games.)
- Kodama: The Tree Spirits: I haven't actually played this myself, but with a playing time of 20-40 minutes, weight of 1.5 and nice illustrations it seems like it could also fit the bill!

I hope you find something good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
Here is a friendly tip for next time: If you are looking for a pretty and simple game, why not put that into the thread title instead of resorting to an old (to me, as a gamer woman, really annoying) stereotype -- especially since the "girls" we are talking about here seem to be, in fact, grown women.

I am sure you meant no harm with your thread title, but this is something to think about next time.

- Above and Below: Definitely comparable in complexity to Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy (actually, probably less complicated), this light euro game comes with lovely illustrations and a lot of flavour added to the game by little story/adventure snippets that can happen to your character. This one has been a hit with all my casual gamer friends! (And myself, and I also enjoy much, much heavier games.)
- Kodama: The Tree Spirits: I haven't actually played this myself, but with a playing time of 20-40 minutes, weight of 1.5 and nice illustrations it seems like it could also fit the bill!

I hope you find something good and don't sell the women in your life short!

He didn't make the association that girly equals simple... you did.

He asked for a pretty girl-themed game that happens to be simple to understand. The association you are describing is not there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second the Takenoko and Tokaido recommandations.

Also Love letter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Bird
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
Here is a friendly tip for next time: If you are looking for a pretty and simple game, why not put that into the thread title instead of resorting to an old (to me, as a fellow gamer woman, really annoying) stereotype -- especially since the "girls" we are talking about here seem to be, in fact, grown women.

I hope you find something good!

I am a woman myself, and yes these are fellow women, but, they do indeed love "girly" and "simple" games, they do have a preference for games that are pretty and are not complicated. And they love themes related to Jane Austin and Romance and such, so it is a fairly "girly" game I am looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions tho!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:

He asked for a pretty girl-themed game that happens to be simple to understand. The association you are describing is not there.
The OP seems to be a woman (which admittedly, I also didn't see when I first saw the post -- I'm guilty of stereotyping as well, clearly! shake). But look at the bolded text: It says "so simple and pretty is what I want" so why not just write that? Fewer stupid stereotypes invoked that way + it's much clearer what is being sought.

Anyway, this wasn't meant to be attacking, just pointing out in a friendly manner -- if it didn't come across this way, I'm really sorry, I maybe shouldn't post anything on days that were rubbish for other reasons...

I'll show myself out now, I guess. I hope my recommendations are helpful anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made this geeklist a while ago because I like the exact same kind of game! #noshame

Games for the grown-up Girly Girl

Anyway this thread gives me a lot more good ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a member of a large gaming group, with a handful of women. We play lots of Euros and other games every week. This week, though, we organized a ladies tea and games afternoon and it was so much fun.

I had brought out Legacy the Testament of Duke de Crecy, Lords and Ladies, Marrying Mr. Darcy, Dream Home, and Elevenses.

We had tea sandwiches, muffins, and cookies and served tea in fancy teacups. By the time we finished luncheon and talking, we had time for Elevenses and Dream Home, which was new to all of us but actually a very good game with some interesting decisions to make. I had read it was simple, which is is -- I appreciated the straightforward rules -- but we all enjoyed it. Everyone wanted another play, but we ran out of time.

If you are considering Elevenses, it does have quite a mean aspect to it so be aware, it's all about sabotaging other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rita Chen
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often play games with my mom & sister, too. It's an unusual "gaming group" configuration, from what I've read around here, but we have lots of fun.

I second Elevenses and Takenoko. Like Mindy said, Elevenses can be quite mean. There's also a bit of a memory aspect to it, which seems to be a love/hate thing.

I'll add a little game that's not very well known: Project Dreamscape. It's a small box set-collecting card game with an interesting spatial chaining aspect; the cards all have special abilities and interact in neat ways. The art is odd and dreamy, in pastel colours.

If your family likes cute as well as pretty: my sister loves the Sushi Go art. Deep Sea Adventure is a tiny push-your-luck game with lovely pieces. These are all much, much lighter than things like The Testament of Duke de Crecy or Castles of Mad King Ludwig, so they would probably suit better as in-between fillers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
World's Fair 1893 is an attractive, light, area majority game with lots of color text and pictures, with the main board element in the shape of a Ferris Wheel. I think it is fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prêt-à-Porter gets a lot of love here, though unfortunately I have not played it. Also not sure about its availability.

Though that may be on the complex/long side of what you're after. I'd definitely recommend Dixit or Mysterium, as I believe others have suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well "la de" freck'n Da!
badge
The "Dennis System".
mbmbmbmbmb
My Little Pony: Collectible Card Game? I,m no Brony, but might pick this up for my littlu'ns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Histrio is a simple, pretty game that should come finish well under the hour mark. It has an appealing theme as well.

Ophir is a gorgeously lush and simple pick up and deliver. The hardest part is setting it up. It too should finish in under an hour.

Cinque Terre is another simple and pretty pick up and deliver game. It's a bit drier than Ophir and might take an hour but has fewer rules.

Have fun playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Gswp wrote:
deedob wrote:

The OP seems to be a woman (which admittedly, I also didn't see when I first saw the post -- I'm guilty of stereotyping as well, clearly! shake). But look at the bolded text: It says "so simple and pretty is what I want" so why not just write that? Fewer stupid stereotypes invoked that way + it's much clearer what is being sought.

Anyway, this wasn't meant to be attacking, just pointing out in a friendly manner -- if it didn't come across this way, I'm really sorry, I maybe shouldn't post anything on days that were rubbish for other reasons...

I'll show myself out now, I guess. I hope my recommendations are helpful anyway.

No, "girly" as a descriptor was incredibly clear, as you can tell by all the appropriate suggestions that fit that demand. Clearly not everyone finds that descriptor insulting, so I'm not sure why it shouldn't be used simply because you do. Boys and girls typically like different things. It's okay to cater to those interests.

OT: What about Once Upon a Time? Maybe it's not typically "girly" but it certainly has girly elements. Also, I've noticed that the women I play with are a hell of a lot better at that game than the guys I play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaimowitz wrote:

Cinque Terre is another simple and pretty pick up and deliver game. It's a bit drier than Ophir and might take an hour but has fewer rules.

I don't know if it's girly, but we enjoy Cinque Terre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Pretty, Pretty Smash Up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm, me again...
Dear Nicole, I'm very sorry, my above post was out of place in this thread and I should have just left it at those two recommendations, Above and Below and Kodama: The Tree Spirits, which I hope you will still look at.
I would delete the original post, but since it was cited, it would just make the whole thread look weird.

(I think I have read too many of these "I need a game with lots of pink that's reeally easy to grasp to get *some woman in my life* into gaming" on BGG, they annoy me because they often imply that just the fact that someone is a woman should make them predisposed to like or dislike certain things, and I projected that onto this thread, even though this thread is quite different. I'm sorry. I had a bad day and I was dumb to post in that state of mind. Now have fun with the rest of the thread!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.