Subject: 3 Solo Campaigns vs Glacien rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas PDX
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Alright, I dug out my copy of Shadowrift (1st edition) and, armed with the 2nd edition solo rules, I fought 3 campaigns vs the Glacien. In addition, I also used the new Might and Villager groups.

1st Campaign:
I lost this one very quickly. With the monsters gaining a minimum of 3 power, I simply couldn't keep up. They just kept appearing way faster that I could cope with and spammed my town with corpses and freezes.

2nd Campaign:
A little unsettled by the first experience, I decided to slow the monsters down by only adding a base of 2 power instead of 3. That campaign ended up being a walk in the park. I had a slight scare when a monster effect forced me to discard the Seal which I just got and which I needed to seal Shadowrift. The monsters bought themselves a little time, tension picked up as they started accumulating 3 power points, but the Seal came back quickly enough. Maybe it was the luck of the (monster) draw, but I always felt in control and never got a single Freeze in town.

3rd Campaign:
Motivated by my easy win, I play a 3rd campaign going back to the 3 power minimum. And Bam! I get crushed once again. I got 2 Tundra Giants back to back. At 6 cost, and accumulating 3 power per turn, it only takes them 2 monster turns to come out. It's a good think they don't hunt, but since they force you to discard and rampage, they were a huge problem. I managed to kill them both, but in the meantime other monsters were also coming in and doing the real damage. Again, perhaps I just got a bad draw, or made bad decisions, or maybe it's the Glacien, but at 3 power per monster turn, it just felt they were coming out too quickly.

Since 2 power per turn felt too easy and 3 felt too hard, maybe I'll try gradually ramping up the power - for instance 2 to start with, and +1 for each Shadowrift revealed, even if sealed or sent back to the bottom of the deck.

EDIT #1: I realized that I have been playing the variant wrongly, using a starting deck of 20 cards instead of 10. This certainly made the game harder for me. I will have to try that again.

EDIT #2: I have now played a 4th campaign, this time with a proper starting deck. You can read about it in this other thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Nugent
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting.

I'm rather looking forward to my pre-order of second edition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas PDX
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I realized that I have been playing the variant wrongly, using a starting deck of 20 cards instead of 10. This certainly made the game harder for me. I will have to try that again.

EDIT: I have now played a 4th campaign, this time with a proper starting deck. You can read about it in this other thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.