Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
So , can you still play Sands solo, and can you still use the Threat track variant if you do so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about this quite a bit since I love me some solo Runebound and I do use the Threat Track variant (the Midnight one). I think it would be very possible, with a couple modifications.

1- The sandstorm. Since you will be the only character taking a story die, the sandstorm won't move as much and will always move where you want it. That doesn't sound too much like an actual game. I think it would be a good idea to roll the story die every other turn or maybe every time a threat roll is "successful". On these rolls, always move the sandstorm assuming you were an opponent who was trying to get into your way.

2- A few of the legendary quests become much less valuable, especially the 3-wishes lamp (since you are wishing for the ability of other legendary artifacts which are not in play) and the Ally who can become a legendary artifact in play. I think that I would set aside a random legendary artifact every time I obtained one as if it had been obtained by my opponent. This would solve the problem of the lamp and would also provide some interesting variation from game to game.

3- The lost cities. I think that having these show up is pretty important and very cool and is only a 1/6 chance on the story die of doing so. When rolling the story die (as in #1 above) I think I'd go ahead and place a lost city whenever that side (the "mountain") came up. Now where to place it fairly? That's a tougher call. I'd make it "anywhere beyond 12 hexes away, my choice". 12 hexes being a typical 3-turn movement range sans camels.

Any other thoughts? I might also consider stocking each city with 2 items at the beginning of the game to increase the chance of getting the neat new allies into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.