Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When teaching a game, you never read off the rulebook
You will bore people, eyes aglaze this way

However, they still need to look at the rulebook, and read it anyways
Plenty of cases arise where the game teacher may have been taught something incorrectly, or otherwise misinterpreted something, so you'll want to confirm that from the source

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
ackmondual wrote:

Yes I do.
Quote:
Plenty of cases arise where the game teacher may have been taught something incorrectly, or otherwise misinterpreted something, so you'll want to confirm that from the source

And that's why.

Will never understand people who don't insist that for a new game everyone reads the rulebook themselves (in advance), and they follow the thing through the book on the first play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I make summaries for most games I'm going to teach, trying to capture all the turn sequence, victory conditions, and any easy-to-forget rules. That way, players can have a written document (usually about 1/4 the number of pages of the rulebook) to refer to during the game. The main rules I keep handy as a reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Will never understand people who don't insist that for a new game everyone reads the rulebook themselves (in advance), and they follow the thing through the book on the first play.

Often not everyone has access to the rules prior to first play, or even knows what they are going to play.

And "following through" on the first play often doesn't make a lot of sense; many rulebooks aren't laid out in a way that makes that very doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck getting a whole group to read a 25 page rule book before they show up for game night. I just learn the heck out of the rules, explain them well, and reference the rule book when a grey area comes up. Also, we put little weight on the importance of the first couple play throughs as we are all learning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anyone ever asked to read the rules during a first play of a game after being taught. Kinda rude...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

You are doing it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People teaching games incorrectly is pretty common especially if they have a large background in games.

Many gamers assume something works one way, because other games worked that way. It can even be a simple thing, like whether card decks get re-shuffled, that has a major impact.

I always read the rulebook because of this. Several people reading the book are more likely to play correctly than one reading it.

But....lots of people hate reading rules, or cards, or books period. Sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I don't think anyone ever asked to read the rules during a first play of a game after being taught. Kinda rude...

I always look at and casually read the rulebook for a new game, at the table, after being taught.

And I almost always catch something we are doing wrong.

But my group expects it and welcomes that because they know I am a rules junkie and it helps them in the end. They don't have to bother with the rules as much.

Lots of little things become very apparent if you see them in action, or not, as you look at the book.

I can see other groups being annoyed by that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

What I don't understand is when people don't want to read the rulebook, and then gripe when I don't mention something that only comes up in 1 out of 1000 turns until it actually comes up, on the basis of "well if I'd have known that..."

Well you know what? You would've known that if you'd read the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Geosphere wrote:

I would say instead that playing a game without bothering to learn the rules yourself properly is rude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it might be a kind of social conditioning. We spend over a decade being instructed to read in school, to the point where the idea of reading becomes a chore - and we all know chores aren't fun.

Maybe we need to start a campaign so that learning the game from the rules becomes it's own game - a written puzzle to solve together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

As long as the person reading the rules during play is not distractedly missing their turn (like someone absorbed by their cellphone during a play of a game), I am baffled what is rude about it. It seems a Good Thing, not a Rude Thing, to me. I'm happy to have people directly look up things they were unsure about, or generally double-check that the rules were explained correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
JasonJ0 wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Yes I do.
Quote:

And that's why.

Good luck learning Magic Realm this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taylor
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
JasonJ0 wrote:

Insisting that people do homework before playing your new game is a pretty effective way to ensure your new game doesn't get played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Yes I do.
Quote:

And that's why.

Good luck playing a worthwhile game with someone that won't read the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Deal with Death
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
My clue's pointing this way...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think overall we just need a shift in first time play expectations.

The first play through should be seen as a learning experience where you get a grasp of the general mechanics and are exposed to some of the fringe scenarios.

If it's your first time you shouldn't expect to win. You should expect to learn.

This of course applies less to very short simple games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad DeShon
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
Quality Affordable Gaming Tables - BoardGameTables.com
badge
Quality Affordable Gaming Tables - BoardGameTables.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If I ask to see the rule book after being taught, it is probably because I want to do something, I don't know if it is legal, and I don't want you to know what I'm planning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AlexCannon wrote:
I think it might be a kind of social conditioning. We spend over a decade being instructed to read in school, to the point where the idea of reading becomes a chore - and we all know chores aren't fun.

Maybe we need to start a campaign so that learning the game from the rules becomes it's own game - a written puzzle to solve together.

Context does have a lot to do with it. I almost never crack a book at home (other than rulebooks), but read a novel's worth of posts on BGG every week.

Someone needs to come up with rulebooks that resemble the form of a facebook news feed, then everyone at the table will be experts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Geosphere wrote:

I used to do this all the time; I sometimes played with a couple of new game junkies that were notorious for getting the rules wrong when they taught them to others (literally *every* time).

The only way to get the rules right with them was to follow along in the rulebook as they went, correcting where necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:

Hmm? I play lots of worthwhile games, ranging from simple abstract strategy games to typical BGG-style euros/strategy games to non-trivial wargames, and most of them are with people who have not read the rules,

(That said, I certainly like when more people read the rules themselves. But sadly that's not the world I live in.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:

Hmm? I play lots of worthwhile games, ranging from simple abstract strategy games to typical BGG-style euros/strategy games to non-trivial wargames, and most of them are with people who have not read the rules,

(That said, I certainly like when more people read the rules themselves. But sadly that's not the world I live in.)

Same here. I'm kind of the designated rules guy in my group. For games I own, I'll read them ahead of time and sometimes try to watch some tutorial videos or read up on the forum here. Sometimes I get thrown the rulebook when a new-to-the-group game gets broken out. While they all set up, I'll quickly read through (obviously not heavy fare).

I've got a decent method of presenting the rules that everyone is able to figure out the game and get playing most of the time. We will supplement that with referencing the book for specific questions on technicalities that were unclear. Many games we play I'm the only one who's actually looked at the book & everyone plays effectively. Works for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Quantum_Jack wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Yes I do.
Quote:

And that's why.

Quite a bizarre statement. I play with a guy with dyslexia, and we prefer him to not read the rules. He will get them more bungled than if he doesn't read them. We play Arkwright, Mage Knight Board Game, 18OE: On the Rails of the Orient Express full game, Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization etc. However, they probably are not worthwhile games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The quote that you all responded to was in response to playing Magic Realm, not simple games.

Go back and look at the quote chain.

Good luck playing Magic Realm with people that won't read the rules.

There are plenty of games that have simple rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
The quote that you all responded to was in response to playing Magic Realm.

Not simple games.

Good luck playing MAgic Realm with people that won't read the rules.

There are plenty of games that have simple rules.

Ah, so "Good luck playing a worthwhile game with someone that won't read the rules." meant "Good luck playing a worthwhile game of Magic Realm with someone that won't read the rules."?

OK, fair enough!

(But hopefully you can see why the original sentence might have sounded like a more general statement...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.