$5.00
$20.00
$30.00
$15.00
Steven Dolges
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At a convention I had the good luck of snagging a mostly unpunched copy of World in Flames 5th edition.

I know there is a ton of expansions and stand-alone companion games like Days of Decision that are likely applicable to the 'Final Edition' or whichever is the latest.

Assuming I get to the point I want to try some expansions after playing with the base game, what products are compatible with 5th Edition? Most of them? All of them? Fiddling needed?

Thank you for any insight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Ships in Flames and Planes in Flames were originally released as expansions to 5th edition but now, I'm not sure if they would really be compatible (subsequent versions of PiF and SiF are geared to what is amusingly known as WIF: Final Edition, aka WIF6). I guess they would work OK with WIF5.

If you can find them as separate modules, Asia Aflame and Africa Aflame are both designed for WIF5, and so is the ORIGINAL 1994 version of Mech in Flames.

The two standalone WIF expansions, America in Flames and Patton in Flames, are both based on WIFFE and not compatible with WIF5.

Days of Decision II is also compatible with WIF5.

This geeklist might help you a little: A Guide to the World In Flames Universe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dolges
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow thank you for the link, quite informative. I have also learned about a new printing of the game, Collector's Edition. Looks like getting the super deluxe package would get me everything I could want, though it won't be 5th edition. May just just wait for that and tinker with my 5th edition copy for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
srd5090 wrote:
Wow thank you for the link, quite informative. I have also learned about a new printing of the game, Collector's Edition. Looks like getting the super deluxe package would get me everything I could want, though it won't be 5th edition. May just just wait for that and tinker with my 5th edition copy for now.

Think Collectors Edition will be out in 2017; was hoping for 2016 but has slipped a bit. WIF5 is a good game anyway, so enjoy that for now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Clarke
Canada
flag msg tools
Our group in Vancouver plays a heavily modified 5th edition, and I'd say that while later expansions are less compatible with 5th ed, and won't work "out of the box", it's less true than you might think and there are usually at least some things/counters which will work just fine. All the Naval stuff from Ships in Flames onwards works fine, for instance. Patton in Flames and America in Flames rely on heavy units, which aren't really usable, but then again they're optional. Even there, the Americas map is great. Selected minor units from both sets can be used. You just need to be prepared to think about how pieces and or rules will fit in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.