Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Spring is upon us and baseball is back! Lets go Mets!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a general feeling that the Occupations cards in A Feast for Odin might not be completely balanced. Certainly, there are times when the card you draw fits your strategy perfectly and other times when it feels like a complete waste. Because of that, several variants have been suggested to mitigate this a bit, including a "draw 2 and keep 1" variant and "swap an Occupation card when you take a 2 Vikings action". Here's another proposed variant.

What I've noticed is that I prefer to draw the cards with permanent effects during the early portions of the game (when I can use them to influence my strategy) and prefer to draw cards with immediate effects towards the end (because there isn't enough time for the permanent effect cards to make much impact). There are exceptions to this rule, but that's often the way it works out. So my suggestion is that the players get to control which kind of card they draw.

Before beginning the game, go through the dark brown cards of the Occupation deck or decks you're playing with and separate them into two piles. Place all the Anytime cards and Each Time cards into the first pile; then place all the Immediate cards and the As Soon As cards into the second pile. Shuffle both piles. Deal each player a starting light brown Occupation card as usual. From then on, whenever a player draws an Occupation card, he can choose to take it from either the Anytime/Each Time deck or the Immediate/As Soon As deck.

I haven't had the chance to try this out myself yet, because we haven't played the game enough to verify that a variant is needed. But if you're dissatisfied with how the Occupations cards work, but you think the variants suggested may be too drastic, you may want to try this one out. It won't keep you from drawing a Pillaging card when you've committed to whaling, but it should allow you to tailor your drawing to the kinds of cards you want to draw. If anyone tries this out, please let us all know how well it worked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Melsheimer
Germany
Nuremberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option you could try is the Roll for the Galaxy one:

Discard X cards (may be 0) and draw X+1 new cards. That way, if you get cards you don't want, you can get rid of them later and get better ones (hopefully)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.