Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Hoax (second edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Is this game missing something or am I? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Scott
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I played this game for the first time and was really looking forward to it. Sadly, I have to say it was a bit of a hot chaotic mess. It was played with a full complement of people and it was very difficult for everyone to remember investigations, who was pretending to be who etc. Everyone was pretty much straight out guessing who was lying or not. Am I alone with this or does it become easier after a few plays?

Brainstorming about what could be done about this; I thought that little player screens and a sort of checklist so that players can keep track of who is claiming to be who and the results of investigations. Would this suck the fun out of the game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wise
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I remember the rules saying that you aren't allowed to take notes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aspiringloser wrote:
I think I remember the rules saying that you aren't allowed to take notes.


Just looking through the rules and cannot see anything like that. It does promote table talk and interaction, which a checklist may take away from.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Esther Phillips - Baby, I'm for Real!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Are those in your group checking their smart phones or being distracted in some other fashion? I've played the original many times, and none of us ever had trouble keeping track mentally of who had been claiming which roles.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Are those in your group checking their smart phones or being distracted in some other fashion? I've played the original many times, and none of us ever had trouble keeping track mentally of who had been claiming which roles.


No they were not distracted but they were not gamers. In the beginning it was ok but once a few rounds go by and an investigation are two then it was really tough to keep track, even for me. Also, because each game is quite short you are never quite sure whether you are remembering things from the previous one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Esther Phillips - Baby, I'm for Real!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MontyMooMan wrote:
Sphere wrote:
Are those in your group checking their smart phones or being distracted in some other fashion? I've played the original many times, and none of us ever had trouble keeping track mentally of who had been claiming which roles.


No they were not distracted but they were not gamers. In the beginning it was ok but once a few rounds go by and an investigation are two then it was really tough to keep track, even for me. Also, because each game is quite short you are never quite sure whether you are remembering things from the previous one.

Assuming the game hasn't changed, those claiming the various roles were doing things that were hard to forget, e.g. the Thief or Wizard taking tokens from others, the Judge imposing penalties, the Vicar demanding tithes. It helps a great deal if people are hamming it up and getting into the roles a bit and taking their actions with flair. I can see how it would fall flat if people were just sitting quietly and passing stuff back and forth.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.