Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Tauntauns taunting the Empire, A Star Wars Rebellion Batrep rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote a Batrep a while back and thought I'd share it.

Just over a week ago I sat down with our Armada National Champion Kristjan to play a game of Rebellion, using my fully painted set. Kristjan wanted to play the Imperials – no surprise there as he loves running Imps in Armada. He also has a tendency to goose step and shout orders when under stress, so that might explain his Imperial love affair. I was more than happy to play the Rebels since, like a normal person, they were the side I rooted for in the movies.

Our game took all afternoon and went into the night. There were lots of breaks and time spent just chatting, so that’s why it took so long, and in my opinion how one should play! I apologize for the lack of good pictures and the dark ones at the end as it was night when we finished. We were enjoying the last days of Indian Summer and played outdoors.

After the forces were set up, I just had to put the Rebel Base on Hoth. I’m a sucker for theme when I play Star Wars games so I couldn’t resist, especially since Kristjan had talked to our friend Yik about a game where I put the Rebel base on Yavin. Kristjan was saying how cool it was that the base was on Yavin so I thought to myself, “it will be even cooler on Hoth! Oh the puns!”

Deploying on Hoth was pretty risky as Mustafar, directly beside it, was a Loyal Imperial system with a reasonable force.

After playing Rebellion previously, I knew that the Rebels couldn’t afford to loose units without gaining something back. Spreading them out across the map would be a waste of lives so I decided to deploy the Alliance at Nal Hutta with a small force back at the base.

I was hoping that this deployment, as well as Mon Calamari openly declaring for the Alliance, would draw the Imperials to the north of the board and away from Hoth. Still, everything would go pear shaped if Kristjan decided to hop over to Hoth and have a peek. I was gambling that he wouldn’t, at least for the first few turns, and I was curious to see how my strategy would play out.

The Rebels were running sabotage missions, and sabotaged Mustafar often. This helped in stopping units from deploying in that corner of the galaxy.

During one of those sabotage missions General Riekeen (who Kristjan would hilariously pronounce “Ree-ah-khan” in a Jamaican accent) was captured by Darth Vader on Mustafar and placed in carbonite. It was a blow to the Rebellion and they lost a reputation.

On the following turn Leia and a new Rebel recruit, a young farm boy called Luke Skywalker, went on a mission and rescued him (also pulling an objective card to boot).

This success allowed Luke to search the mission deck for the Seek Yoda card and travel to Dagobah. Everything seemed to be going according to plan until Boba Fett showed up.

On Dagobah Luke trained to be a Jedi but unbeknownst to him Boba Fett, the most dangerous bounty hunter in the galaxy, was on his trail. The Empire, aware that a son of Skywalker was alive, paid an outrageous sum for his capture. As Luke completed his training with Yoda, Boba Fett landed Slave One in the swamps of Degobah and began his hunt.

Yoda silently watched Luke gather his things. He had sensed the bounty hunter for some time now. Luke’s failure in the cave and his eagerness to rush off for adventure weighed heavily on Yoda’s mind.

“Ready he is not. Reckless he is. Greater faith in the force needs Luke,” thought Yoda. “A final test, will be this bounty hunter. Redemption, understanding, connection to the force Luke must find or suffer his father’s fate he will.”

As Luke travelled back to his X-Wing, Boba Fett set a masterful trap. Launching an exploding rocket from his jetpack, he caused Luke to drop his lightsaber. Then falling from the trees he entangled Luke with his fibercord whip.

Boba Fett had rolled 3 successes vs Luke’s 1!

When all seemed lost, something strange happened. Luke stopped struggling and closed his eyes.He calmed himself and felt the force – it was all around him.

Instantly the light saber came to his hand. In a flash he cut himself free of the firbecord and launched a counter attack. The young Jedi deflected laser bolts, force jumped to close the gap and chopped Boba Fett’s blaster in two. All the bounty hunter could do was rocket away in defeat. The Jedi had beat him.

Luke Skywalker used his Yoda Ring re-roll, i.e., his Jedi training, to defeat Boba Fett. Much to Kristjan’s disbelief, Luke rolled a double success to thwart the capture attempt!

The Empire was getting suspicious of the sabotage missions being run near Ilum so it sent Wolf Yolarin to investigate.

Even though the Rebel base was not there, it was a terrifying card to see as the Rebel player! The Empire then moved on to Dathomir and began construction of a second Death Star. The good news was the Empire had set it’s focus on the wrong side of the galaxy, for now.

Meanwhile, as the Rebels I played Base Defenses for thematic reasons.

I mean, come on, the base was on Hoth and this card pictured Hoth! I even put my snowy Ion Cannon (I have a Forest Moon one and a Desert one) on the rebel base space along with the shield generator. Now the base had everything, even some snow speeders. It was right out of the movies! laugh

continued here:
http://dockingbay416.com/tauntauns-taunting-the-empire-a-sta...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nicely done.

About Boba Fett and the mission to Capture Luke. Boba had 2 extra succeses because its his mission, so like could never beat him with that roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dara
msg tools
mbmbmb
I love the read and the pictures. Amazing paint job!

Also Aron is correct, unless by Boba's 3 successes you mean 1 from the die and 2 for being on his mission. In which case your picture would be incorrect. Either way I hope you post another battle report soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Nicely painted as well! I just finished all my Imperial Assault figures, but I don't think I'm quite ready for ones as small as Rebellion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Arontje wrote:
Very nicely done.

About Boba Fett and the mission to Capture Luke. Boba had 2 extra succeses because its his mission, so like could never beat him with that roll.

Nice catch!

Will endeavor to pay more attention in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Great report!

Amazing bluff. When you described how he drew the Kessel card. I felt that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aki Saarto
Finland
flag msg tools
Great Batrep! Love your storytelling style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.