Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Uccello
United States
Millbury
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had some annoyance over the mass-raiding (technically explorations) of Ancient Tombs as soon as they are opened. I don't have the rulebook handy, so if this is part of the basic rules, PLEASE let me know, but I wondered what other people think about exploring an Ancient Tomb having a token placed on it until Winter? Essentially, once one person has explored it, no one else is able to do so until the following year. What has happened in our game is that one person finds an Ancient Tomb, then the (usually) next player Explores it, and the next few players all do so as well, until it gets closed. I'm leaning towards suggesting the once-per-year Explore, it would encourage more distant exploration and different activities between players, but I don't know if this is a conscious design decision that I'd be messing up. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pretty much the same thought that has always existed in this forum. If you want to houserule a legacy game, you do so at your own risk.

But thematically, how does your idea make sense? When Howard Carter unearthed King Tut's tomb, I'm sure there were plenty of other archaeologists descending on the site to see what they could find, in and around the tomb. They didn't just decide to go try to plunder a different desert and see what they would find.

Change the rules if you want to. It's your money. But you might see if your players agree with your assessment first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atras wrote:
I don't know if this is a conscious design decision that I'd be messing up.

I'm not getting the impression there are any conscious design decisions in this game, at all. To be concerned that you are mucking up some fine point of balance would depend on there being fine points of balance in the first place. That said, if you're going to start changing the game rules in the middle that's obviously going to benefit some players relative to others; it's hard for me to think everyone in your group is going to like this idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McFarland
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Our first tomb was closed on the 3rd endeavor. Our 2nd closed after the 2nd endeavor.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I think this is in the rulebook..or maybe I read it here..? Anyway, the flavor text does provide some handy hints that do seem to connect with the Booke passages

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Random
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Are you doing tombs properly? Remember tombs close when someone succeeds without taking damage, every single tomb for us has closed after the first person used it. They aren't dangerous and you can generally figure out the stat based on the passage.

Also I don't see why so many people want to change game balance when they haven't seen much of it yet. Spoilers about total campaign glory:
Campaigns will average at over 225+ points, in our main campaign 2 people who haven't even touched tombs are <5 points from the 2 people who have gone after tombs. Just play the game as is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SomeoneRandom wrote:
Remember tombs close when someone succeeds without taking damage

That's not true. Some of the entries close the tomb and some don't. You always cross off that room on the back cover, but if the tomb remains open then you can still enter it again and choose a different room.

Maybe you have been playing wrong and that's why your experience is different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you allowed only one player to explore a Tomb each year, then that would grant dibs to the player in last place. That doesn't really sound like a reasonable alternative to "first come, first served", but up to you...
DaviddesJ wrote:
SomeoneRandom wrote:
Remember tombs close when someone succeeds without taking damage

That's not true. Some of the entries close the tomb and some don't. You always cross off that room on the back cover, but if the tomb remains open then you can still enter it again and choose a different room.

Also not true.

You only cross off a tomb entry when you explore that entry without taking damage. (Closing the tomb is determined by individual entry results.)
Quote:
Maybe you have been playing wrong and that's why your experience is different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
You only cross off a tomb entry when you explore that entry without taking damage. (Closing the tomb is determined by individual entry results.)

I don't think that's different from what I said, but I'm accustomed to pedantry here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"You always cross off that room on the back cover" is fairly different than "you cross off a room on the back cover if and only if you succeed at the endeavor without taking damage". That difference seems significant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.