United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intro
Most game reviews seem to focus on the things the reviewer really likes, or really dislikes. Often, I want to read a review that tells me the potential deal breakers that are not masked by bias.

"The Worst Of It" reviews look at the worst parts of games I enjoy and how it impacts my enjoyment of it. I am not trying to balance the good with what can be improved, but want to give others a critical (and hopefully fun) look at what may be a deal breaker for them, but not just giving a negative review.

Enki-Des is a free PnP game about besting fantasy/demon creatures while you are looking for a mystical relic. The theme is a big part of the game.

#Plays - 10

Components - The Worst Of It
1. Print and Play.
- Impact - About 2 pages. Not a big PnP. You will need to supply some tokens and 3 standard dice.

2. Storage is not standard.
- Impact - The sheets are fairly large when compared to the tokens and dice. This makes storage not normal. Do you put the pages in a sleeve (in a notebook), then not store the other components? Do you cut the sheets into pieces to put in a small box? Not a big deal, but be aware.

3. Short on color.
- Impact - The theme matches the color/graphic design. I found it actually enhances the feeling while playing. Some people may just find it ugly and boring. Individual tastes vary.

Rules - The Worst Of It
1. When first learning to play, some rules are not obvious.
- Impact - You may need to refer to the short rule book while learning, not unlike any other game. But this game does have special cases for each battle.

Gameplay - The Worst Of It
1. Managing resources can seem like a bit of luck sometimes.
- Impact - This really only impacts the first few games, until you get familiar with how the game works. You will come up with your own strategies after a while.

2. Sometimes dependent upon the roll of the dice.
- Impact - This is a light game, so I expect variety in the form of dice rolling. There are some choices to be made with your resources. Sometimes, you have additional choices with the right die roll.

3. After a while, the game seems fairly easy.
- Impact - After some plays, you will see what strategies are just not worth it compared to others. The feel of the game still seems like anything could happen, and with the dice, it still could.

Other Comments
I enjoy this game. The theme is interesting and comes together since each battle is unique. You need to make a different strategy with each battle, which keeps the game interesting as you go. If you are into PnP, this is easy to make, easy to learn, and has a unique feel.

See my other "Worst Of It" reviews here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/211522/worst-it-reviews
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review! Glad to see people are still trying this little experiment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I try to review games first that have no, to little, reviews. Enki-Des really is unique and hits the spot when I am looking for a game with a kind of "Shadow of the Colossus" feel. It stands apart from other games in a good way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.