Subject: 60 Minutes segment with Focus Group on this election. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

I have heard a lot of hateful and distressing things this campaign season... but to me this article was the most scary of them all.

Things might actually be worse than I thought.

It is worth watching and I would be interested hearing what others think after watching it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/the-national-mood

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-american-voters-on-tr...]

Quote:

In two days, Americans will go to the polls and hopefully bring down the curtain on a contentious presidential campaign that’s been going on now for a year-and-a-half. It is no secret that most Americans are angry and disappointed with the process and the choices that they have been offered. That was confirmed last week in a CBS News/New York Times poll that found 82 percent of likely voters more disgusted than excited about the election.

We asked Republican pollster, public opinion analyst and CBS News consultant Frank Luntz if he could put faces and voices to this dark national mood by scientifically selecting a focus group that would reflect those polling results. And he did.

These are 23 people representing all aspects of the political spectrum, all aspects of economic life, all age groups. I was looking for people that could have a legitimate conversation about these presidential campaigns and not just totally smear this candidate or this candidate. And here is my problem.

It took two minutes for them to explode. It took five minutes to actually get to the point where I lost control.

Steve Kroft: One of the things that struck me is that I knew that there were Republicans, and I knew there were Democrats, and I knew that there were people that-- were undecided. But I really couldn’t tell who was who.

Frank Luntz: Because the Republicans are mad at Trump, and the Democrats are mad at Clinton. And the Bernie Sanders people are mad at everybody. When has that ever happened?

So maybe the group to group hate really is worst than previous elections and not just a Facebook snipping thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Voters are the problem.

What a bunch of horse shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The people have spoken - THE BASTARDS!!

but you cant expect to sling mud, work peoples emotions up, tell them they are being robbed , cheated or simply don't count for a sustained period then expect all that emotion to simply go away the day after the vote.

Negative politics works so well because the effects of poisioning the well do last for a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Voters are the problem.

I don't think it said the voters were the problem with politics. The article was pointing out that the acrimony from politics and social media is starting to seriously damage our collective ability to interact civilly with each other across the board even when face to face. And that is a much bigger issue than who is going to the President for any 4 given years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Was that group on 60 minutes truly representative? It did not seem so to me. None of them seemed very bright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Meerkat wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Voters are the problem.

I don't think it said the voters were the problem with politics. The article was pointing out that the acrimony from politics and social media is starting to seriously damage our collective ability to interact civilly with each other across the board even when face to face. And that is a much bigger issue than who is going to the President for any 4 given years.

Agree.

How is that not the voters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think about it.

40 years ago we had the Watergate scandal. At that time Republicans came together with Democrats to demand the president resign. 5-6 years later Reagan was elected president. There was a short-term backlash but no lasting damage to the Republican party because they acted with integrity.

Right now, Watergate is happening again yet no one cares. There are a couple politicians with integrity and they are being threatened.

I think Trump has some valid points. But he has run a crappy campaign. He should lose. He could accept that but instead I'm afraid that he will light a match to everything and watch it burn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Pffffff.

Which repub would have done better?

I say again: matters not one whit who the repub was. Hillary's only path to victory was to make the repub as unlikable as her. The media was all in on that strategy.

What repub could have successfully countered that?

The repub, no matter who, would be Satan at this point. Trump is the only one who would dare take on the media.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Cruz, Kasick (sp?), Bush, etc... Probably half of the Republican candidates. Below is a list of the Trump mistakes:

1.) Very little grassroots organization.
2.) Constant turnover of election staff.
3.) Internal squabbles over direction being leaked to the press.
4.) No message discipline.

Republicans are pulling out their hair in frustration. A decent candidate could have won the election.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Voters are the problem.

If you and your dumbass friends hadn't voted for Trump and Cruz we'd have a real election rather than this shitshow. As long as the Republicans are the party of Breitbart, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Alex Jones, etc Democracy cannot function. A party based on disinformation is perfect for jackasses like Trump to hijack. It will happen again 4 years from now, just wait and see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
BFoy wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Cruz, Kasick (sp?), Bush, etc... Probably half of the Republican candidates. Below is a list of the Trump mistakes:

Republicans are pulling out their hair in frustration. A decent candidate could have won the election.

Not a chance. Cruz was even a bigger devil as a bonafide conservative. Jeb would have been a referendum on W. Kasich was more liberal and less focused than Trump. Rubio was easily portrayed as corrupt, and is possibly the truth.

Trump is the only one of the lot who wouldn't run a traditional campaign, would take on the media, and would not have failed miserably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"and would not have failed miserably." - juries still out on that one until tomorrow night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
BFoy wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Not a chance. Cruz was even a bigger devil as a bonafide conservative.

From what I've seen, Cruz will be president in the next 10 years. If Cruz was the Republican candidate, he'd likely be president tomorrow. In the primaries Cruz ran a very disciplined, well managed campaign with very good grassroots outreach. Those things are very important in a Presidential campaign.

BTW, I fully expect Trump to throw a tantrum when he loses. He will blame the loss on everyone except himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
And I fully expect Hillary AND RSP to do the same when she loses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Hillary's only path to victory was to make the repub as unlikable as her. The media was all in on that strategy.

Actually, I think Mr. Trump deserves much of the credit for that feat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh, the Democrats are going to lose sooner or later. Whether it is this election or next. From what I've seen, it will be next election when President Cruz wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
This election was an easy win for the Republicans. The DNC is stuck with a garbage candidate and it's a change election - 8 years of Obama with a generally negative public mood.

Fortunately for dems, the Repubs have been aggressively stomping on their own dicks for about six months straight so they have managed to blow what was pretty clearly a sure thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I say again: matters not one whit who the repub was. Hillary's only path to victory was to make the repub as unlikable as her. The media was all in on that strategy.

You're asking us to believe Trump was a media sockpuppet. I realize you're very busy. Did you actually listen to Trump himself? He really is an asshole. To be sure, that's from my laid-back California perspective, but I've worked with New Yorkers before, and Trump is just beyond the pale. I assume you've been treated like a jerk by a fare: that's Trump. Clinton is the distracted lady who is polite, but goes back to her phone or papers.

49xjohn wrote:
Was that group on 60 minutes truly representative? It did not seem so to me. None of them seemed very bright.

It was only 23 people. I don't know what your standard is for "very bright", but if they were average, none of them would be a rocket scientist, not close. That's kind of the whole future unemployment crisis in a nutshell: of those 23, one might make it in a low-end traditional production-type job; the rest will be in service jobs (if they're socially adept) or nothing. That's the future we have only a few years to get a handle on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
I have heard a lot of hateful and distressing things this campaign season... but to me this article was the most scary of them all.

The standard of civility in the US has fallen horribly. It's no longer, "The loyal opposition." Compromise is a dirty word. Demonization has been normalized. We, the voters, have to stop tolerating it. Stop watching it. Stop listening to it. Stop voting for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Although anyone can have a bad day and take it out on their cabdriver, libs can be the worst. As you might imagine, I've been known to dish it back. Conservatives will often laugh and apologize. Libs are the ones who call to complain, not realizing I'm the one they are complaining about and completely lie about the event in an effort to get me fired.

When I make some comment that I always vote against congressman Don Young, or some other comment that makes people assume I'm a lib and a friendly audience, libs are the ones who use the n word in reference to Obama, or blacks in general, or more commonly in this town, make disparaging comments about native Americans.

Trump is the guy who gives you a big tip. Clinton is the lawyer who is on her phone the whole trip, and when the other person asks her how long until she gets to the conference, looks it up on her phone, on google maps, without the slightest thought that the subservient cabdriver might know the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:

Things might actually be worse than I thought.

It is worth watching and I would be interested hearing what others think after watching it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/the-national-mood

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-american-voters-on-tr...]

Quote:

In two days, Americans will go to the polls and hopefully bring down the curtain on a contentious presidential campaign that’s been going on now for a year-and-a-half. It is no secret that most Americans are angry and disappointed with the process and the choices that they have been offered. That was confirmed last week in a CBS News/New York Times poll that found 82 percent of likely voters more disgusted than excited about the election.

We asked Republican pollster, public opinion analyst and CBS News consultant Frank Luntz if he could put faces and voices to this dark national mood by scientifically selecting a focus group that would reflect those polling results. And he did.

These are 23 people representing all aspects of the political spectrum, all aspects of economic life, all age groups. I was looking for people that could have a legitimate conversation about these presidential campaigns and not just totally smear this candidate or this candidate. And here is my problem.

It took two minutes for them to explode. It took five minutes to actually get to the point where I lost control.

Steve Kroft: One of the things that struck me is that I knew that there were Republicans, and I knew there were Democrats, and I knew that there were people that-- were undecided. But I really couldn’t tell who was who.

Frank Luntz: Because the Republicans are mad at Trump, and the Democrats are mad at Clinton. And the Bernie Sanders people are mad at everybody. When has that ever happened?

So maybe the group to group hate really is worst than previous elections and not just a Facebook snipping thing.

Could you possibly be less disingenuous?

Since, over the past several years, my postings have documented much of the virulantly partisan and denigrating hatred spouted by members of the Tea Party, Teavangelicals, the Religious Right, Dominionists, alt-right members, racists, and neo-Confederates, all of whom comprise the primary base of support for Donald Trump and some of whose efforts you have publicly supported and defended right here in the this newsgroup, you cannot credibly plead ignorance or lack of knowledge about the volatility of those would-be fascists in our midst much less the degree of rancor and dischord that they've brought to the nation at large.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Trump is the guy who gives you a big tip.

From what contractors, employees, "we were promised charitable donations and got none" organizations all say, Trump is more likely the rich guy who stiffs you on a tip.

Or more likely, who wouldn't be caught dead in a taxi anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Trump is the guy who gives you a big tip.

From what contractors, employees, "we were promised charitable donations and got none" organizations all say, Trump is more likely the rich guy who stiffs you on a tip.

Or more likely, who wouldn't be caught dead in a taxi anyway.

Well, for someone like Koldfoot, being able to smell Trump's boot as he steps on his face is a great honor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

90% of the blame of the current political climate rests on rightwing media. When you tell your half of the country that the other half is "evil", "corrupt", "communist" ON A DAILY BASIS, 24/7/365, some of that bias and contention is going to trickle down.

Where are the uniters? For as much as they praise Reagan and Bush, who DID compromise with Dems and try to bring the country together, they operate more like a propaganda machine that repeatedly ignores facts and hates half the country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

90% of the blame of the current political climate rests on rightwing media. When you tell your half of the country that the other half is "evil", "corrupt", "communist" ON A DAILY BASIS, 24/7/365, some of that bias and contention is going to trickle down.

Where are the uniters? For as much as they praise Reagan and Bush, who DID compromise with Dems and try to bring the country together, they operate more like a propaganda machine that repeatedly ignores facts and hates half the country.

Pro life tip #1
When someone constantly tells you that you can trust them and that everyone else is lying to you, they should not be trusted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.