United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intro
Most game reviews seem to focus on the things the reviewer really likes, or really dislikes. Often, I want to read a review that tells me the potential deal breakers that are not masked by bias.

"The Worst Of It" reviews look at the worst parts of games I enjoy and how it impacts my enjoyment of it. I am not trying to balance the good with what can be improved, but want to give others a critical (and hopefully fun) look at what may be a deal breaker for them, but not just giving a negative review.

Wizard Dice is a PnP game about dueling wizards, Yahtzee style, with additional variety.

#Plays

Components - The Worst Of It
1. Print and Play.
- Impact - Two small screens, some reference sheets, and a small rule book. Not a big PnP. However, you will need to supply 12 standard dice.

2. Screens are kind of small.
- Impact - The screens in the file are a little small and lean over a bit too much. This can be mitigated by enlarging them and tweaking the bevel. I also pasted a quick reference inside the screens, which made the leaning over a bigger problem. Just customize to taste.

Rules - The Worst Of It
1. Rule book best printed in color.
- Impact - The spells are organized by type. These types are color coded for ease of reference. I do not recommend printing this game in black and white.

2. There is no quick reference for the turns.
- Impact - When you are first learning to play, a turn reference would have been handy, but the rules are pretty short anyway. After a couple of plays, this is not a problem.

Gameplay - The Worst Of It
1. Analysis Paralysis can occur.
- Impact - Each turn gives you many decisions based on the rolls. For those who dislike the occasional agonizing decision, this may not be your thing. These decisions come in the form of "do I keep this die for this potential combo, or do I reroll it in the hopes of a different combo". This is similar to the type of decisions in Yahtzee. However, there are defensive, offensive, and other spell types, not just making combos.

2. Some choices can seem like they are never good if the dice do not go your way.
- Impact - Hoping to summon an Ogre will do nothing for you if you never get the right rolls. Also, a really, really lucky roll from your opponent can squash any plans you have.

3. There are a lot of spell/dice combos to learn.
- Impact - While learning, you may not see what is a good choice. This can be mitigated by making a quick reference.

Other Comments
This game is fun. It is the most fun when playing the same opponent repeatedly. This is because you get to suss out their behavior and you can turn the game into a mental challenge to try and outwit them. There are some alternate spells that have been made for this, breathing new choices and variety into this game.

See my other "Worst Of It" reviews here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/211522/worst-it-reviews
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Thank you for reviewing my print and play game.. I'll admit I am not familiar with your review series, and, when I saw the title "Worst of It", I was apprehensive. Having read it, I like the spin you have put on the review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you appreciated it. I am trying to cover some less well known games in these reviews to share the love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.