Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm a little late to the IA party. I'm not very interested in the campaigns offered in IA. I already am heavily invested in Descent and my group rarely gets it out to play.

I AM however very interested in the skirmish mode and playing it competitively as a two player game. So my question to this great community, is this game worth it for the skirmish elements alone? I love the idea of list building and used to be an avid miniature wargamer. This looks like it might scratch that itch in a lighter way.

I just can't wrap my head around all the stuff for campaigns that will rot in the box. Now if FFG comes out with an app like they did for Descent to control the "overlord" player (which I hate in all games), then I could be into it.

Anyway, is it worth it? Let's hear it from those hardcore skirmish players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it is definitely worth it. The Skirmish mode is a lot of fun and shout scratch that army-building itch.

Don't discount the campaign game, though. The guy I've been playing IA with using only skirmish mode and I recently started the campaign (he's playing four heroes). That has been tons of fun. Even in the campaign, however, there is a lot of stuff that will sit in the box unused. There's just a ton of material for both styles.

You will want to get as many packs as you can to get more skirmish scenarios and maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico P
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FYI: FFG did announce that they're indeed going to have an app like Descent (AI-controlled overlord) at GenCon

When you say "play competitively", do you mean playing competitively with friends at home, or play competitively at a tournament-level? These 2 paths will warrant different purchases and different answers.

For example, I'm (kind of) a hard-core player, but since I never play tournaments and it's a well-known fact that figures in Wave 1 (Han Solo, IG-88, Vader) are ridiculously overcosted, I make my own adjustments to their point costs. You can't do that in tournaments
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Skirmish is the only way I've played it. It's a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
To be honest, as a pretty much strictly campaign player, I feel like I'm definitely in the minority.

Think video games like Halo. Maybe (maybe) the campaign is what initially draws some people in, but it's the competitive multiplayer that gives the game so many hours on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
I play only the campaign due to 3+ players and (almost) never 2.

I had to scroll pretty far to get to the first, but further reading:
Worth it just for Skirmish mode?
Is Skirmish worth owning this game for?
Worth it just for skirmish mode?
Worth Getting just for Skirmish mode?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vance
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm a competitive skirmish player. I've played some of the campaigns but I enjoy the balance of Skirmish more than the story of campaign. It's my favorite 1v1 board game.

Here's another thread with a player looking to get into IA Skirmish wondering what to buy:
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/233690-new-to...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
I play only the campaign due to 3+ players and (almost) never 2.

I had to scroll pretty far to get to the first, but further reading:
Worth it just for Skirmish mode?
Is Skirmish worth owning this game for?
Worth it just for skirmish mode?
Worth Getting just for Skirmish mode?

Ah! Thanks so much for these. I got several pages deep into the General forum before I bailed and posted. I figured I couldn't be the first to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.