Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases» Forums » General

Subject: Really confused on reprints rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So there is an original version, a Ystari reprint (then a print to fix mistakes hence the 2016-2 bar codes) and now Asmodee is reprinting again to fix some more errors?

When is this happening? I thought November, but I haven't heard a word about it. Should I wait or grab the older Ystari version? How can I assure I get the updated Ystari version with fixed errata (2016-2) when I buy?

I have no idea what to look for or buy at this point, can anyone clarify? Thanks!!

crycrycrycrycrycrycry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that the reprint will be here "real soon now" I would wait.

I would avoid the Ystari version ( the one I have!) and either track down the original or wait.

The problem with the Ystari is that they translated it into French and back to English. Rather than just using the original text. Of course, things got lost in translation. And they reportedly mashed in some of the original as well just to make matters worse.

While 2016-2 fixed the worst errors, I believe it still has some errors. Hopefully they will be fixed in the Asmodee edition. But I think it may just be a reprint of 2016-2. But that is still better than getting an earlier Ystari. I got 2016-1. Sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik San
msg tools
mb
Hi,

I am getting an older version at a good discount. Not the 2016-2 version. Is it a good buy if I can print out the Cases 3 & 6 later on? Please suggest.

Really confusing now.

Thanks in advance,
Zany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm that there is a new reprint in the works.
I am the one (through my company Gaming Rules!) who is checking all of the cases and all the text at the moment.
I do not however know the date of release of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik San
msg tools
mb
Oh cool.

Its quite confusing as 2016-2 version has just been released and it seems they are going to come out with a reprint and new box again in 2017!

By when will your check get over? My view is that if only cases #3 and #6 are to be corrected for which files are available from asmodee, it may be better for me to buy the game at a discount.

However, if there are going to be other changes, might as well wait.

Thanks,

Zany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
zanyguy wrote:
Oh cool.

Its quite confusing as 2016-2 version has just been released and it seems they are going to come out with a reprint and new box again in 2017!

By when will your check get over? My view is that if only cases #3 and #6 are to be corrected for which files are available from asmodee, it may be better for me to buy the game at a discount.

However, if there are going to be other changes, might as well wait.

Thanks,

Zany.

I can't tell you whether to buy the game now or wait. I'm fixing a lot of typos, but they are mostly typos. I am fixing a few other parts, but they are minor compared to the big fixes that were needed earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik San
msg tools
mb
I can understand. Many thanks for the feedback though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul-

Thank you so much for the information, a lot less confused now! Ok, it kills me but yeah, I think I am going to wait for the reprint in 2017.

Thanks all you responded, great info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Manes
United States
Chico
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
I am the one (through my company Gaming Rules!) who is checking all of the cases and all the text at the moment.

Paul, you need to stop posting that you're working on games I don't have already, but am interested in. My shelves and free time are at capacity!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanes wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

Paul, you need to stop posting that you're working on games I don't have already, but am interested in. My shelves and free time are at capacity!

Right now, I'm working on about 8 games in one capacity or another. Some of them are top secret though, so your wallet is safe for now

But wait for something very exciting from Space Cowboys soon(ish)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
rmanes wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

Right now, I'm working on about 8 games in one capacity or another. Some of them are top secret though, so your wallet is safe for now

But wait for something very exciting from Space Cowboys soon(ish)

OHHHH SNAP this thread just became speculation and hype CENTRAL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I G
Canada
flag msg tools
I just saw this video about the upcoming released. Perhaps it helps your question?

It looks like this is what is coming.

1) A reprint of the original consulting detective with new map graphics, all new illustrations, new box design, etc...

2) A new boxed release of all the expansions (10 cases), which were already released in France

3) A new release of Jack the Ripper and West End Adventures

Also a new, but related game is coming.

1) Watson and Holmes, a competitive game that will fit into the family
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik San
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the video! Finally we have a timeline! The original reprint is coming in 2nd Half of 2017!

I'm not that patient :-) Just ordered and got the 2015-3 version. I believe I will have to get cases 3 & 6 from asmodee. Any thing else so that the fun in sleuthing is not killed?

Thanks in advance,

Zany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zanyguy wrote:
Thanks for the video! Finally we have a timeline! The original reprint is coming in 2nd Half of 2017!

I'm not that patient :-) Just ordered and got the 2015-3 version. I believe I will have to get cases 3 & 6 from asmodee. Any thing else so that the fun in sleuthing is not killed?

Thanks in advance,

Zany.

Just be sure to print out the newspapers from the file section. Asmodee sent me the notebook errata but not the newspapers

Oh course, I'm not sure what the 2015-3 version is. Thought there was just -1 and -2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
4edges wrote:
Also a new, but related game is coming.

1) Watson and Holmes, a competitive game that will fit into the family
i did all the editing for that one too very different type of game, but as a Holmes fan, was great to work on that project too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the excellent info! Dang, same here I am not that patient, I can see myself buying the broken version and all those shiny new ones will go unbought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd wait if I were you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik San
msg tools
mb
belial1134 wrote:
zanyguy wrote:

Thanks in advance,

Zany.

Just be sure to print out the newspapers from the file section. Asmodee sent me the notebook errata but not the newspapers

Oh course, I'm not sure what the 2015-3 version is. Thought there was just -1 and -2

Thanks. Thought as much. I'll print out the newspapers too.

The full code is 2015-3/SH01US/CHP001
Not sure what that means.

Zany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik San
msg tools
mb
PaulGrogan wrote:
I'd wait if I were you.

Ohhh! Now I'm getting worried! Paul should I return the game and wait for the new one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Carr
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
So is the one listed at the link below the newest one (that is the '2017' one that people keep talking about)? I'm confused because coolstuff says it's coming out in 2016.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/231663

Nvm, answered my own question. That video was super helpful. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zanyguy wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:
I'd wait if I were you.

Ohhh! Now I'm getting worried! Paul should I return the game and wait for the new one?
dont return it if you have bought it, but if you haven't bought it, wait. The new version hopefully fixes everything without any hassle or typos and errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik San
msg tools
mb
PaulGrogan wrote:
zanyguy wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:
I'd wait if I were you.

dont return it if you have bought it, but if you haven't bought it, wait. The new version hopefully fixes everything without any hassle or typos and errata.

Thanks Paul for replying!

Not returning! Got the fixed files from Asmodee too. And itching to play it now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
4edges wrote:

1) A reprint of the original consulting detective with new map graphics, all new illustrations, new box design, etc...

2) A new boxed release of all the expansions (10 cases), which were already released in France

3) A new release of Jack the Ripper and West End Adventures

Is this correct, that the expansion and JtR & WEA are two different things?

ETA: sorry, should have watched the video first. Yes it is.

I'm a bit disappointed to see so many people recommending waiting, I thought 2016-2 was supposed to have fixed things? I read that the newspapers might need changing, if I have 2016-2 and download case #5 and #7 newspapers I should be good to go right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AFAIK 2016-2 fixed the big errors, but not the dozens / hundreds of typos that I found and corrected when working on the new version.
But I also found some other 'things' which needed 'fixing'
So, I'm suggesting wait because of how much work I put into the new version to try and make it error free, and it should be out soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arsene Lupin
msg tools
DaveSumm wrote:
I'm a bit disappointed to see so many people recommending waiting, I thought 2016-2 was supposed to have fixed things? I read that the newspapers might need changing, if I have 2016-2 and download case #5 and #7 newspapers I should be good to go right?

I have both the French Ystari version and the Space Cowboy reprint which came out mid-December. I really liked the look-and-feel that Ystari came up with in 2011, but I think the new version is better: The box is sturdier, the text is not written in cursive anymore (and thus much more readable), and the new design is really beautiful. I know waiting can be hard, but it is definitely worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.