Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Intro
Most game reviews seem to focus on the things the reviewer really likes, or really dislikes. Often, I want to read a review that tells me the potential deal breakers that are not masked by bias.

"The Worst Of It" reviews look at the worst parts of games I enjoy and how it impacts my enjoyment of it. I am not trying to balance the good with what can be improved, but want to give others a critical (and hopefully fun) look at what may be a deal breaker for them, but not just giving a negative review.

Dystopian is a PnP game about hunting down a criminal in a futuristic (dystopian) setting. You interrogate others as you explore the city, collect evidence, gain companions, and generally feel a little like Mitch Deckard.

#Plays - 4

Components - The Worst Of It
1. Print and Play.
- Impact - 54 cards, a player mat, and some tokens. Medium PnP. There may be a deck on Artscow or Printerstudio.

2. Graphic design is not the highest quality.
- Impact - This was made for a contest, so do not expect store ready quality. Having said that, the design is functional and does not take away from the theme or distract from the game play. Only the player mat is pretty basic.

3. Player mat is not easy to store without folding.
- Impact - You may need to unfold it every time, which may cause it to bow in the middle. Alternately, you could cut it into pieces for storage.

Rules - The Worst Of It
1. Some rules are not intuitive.
- Impact - Since the game works in 2 phases, you need to sometimes look up what the special cases are. This adds variety to the game, but makes some things seem a bit out of place. A few plays without large gaps of time will make this not a big deal.

2. No quick reference.
- Impact - Some rules are just easy to forget, but can swing the game. A quick reference would mitigate that. Playing a few times will help get the rules set in your mind, but for beginners, I suggest a rules reference.

Gameplay - The Worst Of It
1. Luck of the draw.
- Impact - Sometimes you can have a string of bad luck with the card draws. You might rest just to draw a card that would have saved you time. Or, you might really need a "safe" location to gain some benefit, but not get one for a long time. There are many "days" in the game, so this is not likely to be systemic. In the end, this uncertainty drives a bit of the vibe and fits the theme. Plus, you have choices on how to push your luck.

2. Characters do not feel balanced after only 4 game plays.
- Impact - Each character has a unique ability. Some just seem more useful than others. Your individual strategy may make you not want to play some characters. Keep in mind that I have only played 4 times.

3. Fairly easy to win on the beginner level.
- Impact - I think the press your luck works well, but having 30 days makes it easy to win, unless you have bad luck. However, there are multiple ways to scale the game as included in the rules.

Other Comments
The theme really comes through in this one. I feel like I am hunting someone in L.A. in 2017 (as envisioned in 1982). Some of the graphics really draw you in (a crying Sean Young, seedy club, dirty city, thugs, etc). Ignoring the rougher aspects of the graphics, the game play really works. I find it unique and fun. I could easily see this one get a professional treatment and make it onto store shelves with some refinements. I would buy it.

See my other "Worst Of It" reviews here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/211522/worst-it-reviews
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for reviewing this. It's good to see it get some love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Taste: I am personally not fond of solitaire games (and their off-spring: multiplayer-solitaire) - so I will be so frank and ask:
- Did you try it with 3-4 peeps?
- How was the interaction going, did your choices and actions impact the others game and if, in which way and how much and how often?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My version of the rules (final) does not include the multi player option. After reading through those rules, I am not sure that the game scales that well. I suspect he took out the multiplayer since it was not fully developed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.