Popular Tags: [View All]
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The long anticipated Acquire 2016 has an all new bonus score sheet.

1) Majority bonuses increase in value only to 38 tile, not 41 as has been the case for the past 50 years.

2) Majority bonus incremental values ramp up in value more quickly now.

3) The top three positions of ownership now get a bonus, not the top two positions as has been the case for the past 50 years.

All of this adds up to money flooding into the game and removes the important decisions around whether or not to spend money to compete for the second stock bonus. Furthermore more, it reduces the benefit of having the most stock in a company because so many more people are getting paid on each bonus.

The new bonus sheet totally ruins the tension and pain in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. I knew they were screwing with it when I saw the 10x10 board, but I didn't realize the changes went deeper. I still wonder: why mess with a classic? What's their argument? I'm deeply curious at this point even if I have no plans whatsoever to replace my classic copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChelseaSquare wrote:

1) Majority bonuses increase in value only to 38 tile, not 41 as has been the case for the past 40 years.

3) The top three positions of ownership now get a bonus, not the top two positions as has been the case for the past 40 years.

All of this adds up to money flooding into the game and removes the important decisions around whether or not to spend money to compete for the second stock bonus. Furthermore more, it reduces the benefit of having the most stock in a company because so many more people are getting paid on each bonus.

Have you played the new version yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boggs
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChelseaSquare wrote:

1) Majority bonuses increase in value only to 38 tile, not 41 as has been the case for the past 40 years.

3) The top three positions of ownership now get a bonus, not the top two positions as has been the case for the past 40 years.

Because of the slightly smaller 10x10 board than the 12x9, I can see the point in scaling down the max from 41 to 38. I'll give them that.

I haven't seen the new sheets yet, but provided that the 3rd person gets a payout near or below 1/2 the 2nd player... not a terrible addition. I know that I have been in games where I (or someone else) run out of liquidity and am basically out of the game for an extended period of time. More opportunities for cash infusion would lessen the chance of this.

All this said, (and not having played the 2016 version yet) I still think the classic to be very well streamlined. But for player counts 4+, I believe the new score sheet to be a valid OPTION... where players can decide the payout method they prefer.

And as I said, given the reduction in board size, the 41 -> 38 seems appropriate. I just don't see any reason to change from the 12x9 unless just for symmetry sake (bah).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChelseaSquare wrote:

52 Years. This is not the big problem.
Quote:

The 6-10 has been replaced with a 6-7 level (Not sure if safe level is now 7 instead of 11.) A bigger problem.
Quote:

The absolute HUGE problem!

In the original First Majority is 10x stock price, second x5 stock price. On the new tables, First is still x10, Second is ~x7 (it varies in an inconsistent manner), third majority is x5. This puts roughly 50% more money into the game.

Quote:

Agree entirely. Even worse it tends to make it so it doesn't matter if you "miss out" in a 3 player game and rarely does it matter in a 4 player game and in larger player count (which wasn't worth playing anyway due to lack turns in the game--which makes the game very random) players rarely ran out of cash anyway--now they certainly won't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SO, are you all jumping to conclusion without seeing the rules or playing the game yet?

Do you know if the 3rd payout is for all player counts? I mean, the game's minimum is 3 players, it doesn't make sense to have 3 payouts at that player count. Maybe they are trying to balance it more for different player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirpoonga wrote:
SO, are you all jumping to conclusion without seeing the rules or playing the game yet?

Because we know the game we have playing and loving it for many years.

Quote:
Do you know if the 3rd payout is for all player counts? I mean, the game's minimum is 3 players, it doesn't make sense to have 3 payouts at that player count. Maybe they are trying to balance it more for different player counts.

Objection! Assumes facts not in evidence.
Sustained.

1) No 3 or 3-4 player cards have been shown. No indication on the cards that there are only 2 payouts in smaller payouts are used either.

2) How does adding 50% more money in a 5-6 game fix its issuesL There are too few turns (and therefore already very random) AND usually you don't run out of money becuase you have so few turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we sure that they won't include a way to play with the original rules? The new way might play as an interesting variant for those of us that are experienced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the differences should this new Acquire have a separate entry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
spacerx wrote:

It doesn't seem like they changed the game enough to do that. Plus it would just be unnecessarily duplicative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manutd03 wrote:
spacerx wrote:

It doesn't seem like they changed the game enough to do that. Plus it would just be unnecessarily duplicative.

Wouldn't be the first time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
spacerx wrote:

The rules seem to affect setup, gameplay, strategy etc.. Catan Family Friendly Setup Edition? Through The Ages Part Deux? Etc..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.