Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Your first memory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: ChitChatThread [+] [View All]
msg tools
First of all I want to wish you luck, United States of America.
I hope that whoever will be President, will serve your nation well.

Not going into politics here now, you already have enough threads about this, don't you?

I thought I distract you a little bit, so close to the election

Recently friends and I talked about what our first memory is.
How old were you (approximately) ?
What do you remember?

Speaking for myself, my first memory is a vision of lights and glitter, like a curtain, moving. Not really sure though, maybe it was just a dream?

Later, my first "real life" memory is watching my mother in the kitchen doing stuff, and I must have been about 3 years old.
I especially remember a spin-dryer.

I'm really interested in your first memories, and especially how old you were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I must have been about two. I had crawled out of my crib, and I was trying to sneak into my sister's room, but my mom caught me leaving. With a disapproving look, she snapped her fingers and silently pointed back to my room, and I ran away in remorse, crawling back into the crib.

Weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
What I've been told was probably us standing in line to watch Star Wars... I was about 3.

It was only shown downtown, and the memory is of being in a huge line that went all around a block, and the block was a big pit where they were laying the foundations of a highrise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The oldest one I can conclusively date was when I was two and a half -- I was lying in my parent's bed in the morning, she was pregnant with my little sister, and she was talking to me about what her name would be. So I can conclusively date that as being prior to May 1985.

I have a few memories of visiting some friends of my parents and being fascinated by a few things, particularly the red LED in their smoke detector and a poster of Larry Bird. That might have been earlier but I can't place it in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first memory...is almost certainly incorrect, based on what we know about how memory works and how unreliable memories from long past are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
StormKnight wrote:
My first memory...is almost certainly incorrect, based on what we know about how memory works and how unreliable memories from long past are.

Ok, but what IS your first memory?
For me it doesn't matter if it is "correct".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
being wrote:
First of all I want to wish you luck, United States of America.
I hope that whoever will be President, will serve your nation well.

Thank you!

being wrote:

Recently friends and I talked about what our first memory is.
How old were you (approximately) ?
What do you remember?

Interesting question! I've not seen it here before.

In my earliest memory I'm 2 or 3 years old. I'm sitting on my mother's lap and she's tying my tennis shoes; on TV was a rocket (had to have been a Mercury) lifting off. She said to me, "See Steve? They're going up into space!". I remember giggling.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being on a train when I was supposedly too young to be able have such memories <shrug> so who knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
We had this big orange cat. His name was Pumpkin Puss.

I remember him. Must have been 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmbmbmb
I have vivid memory of crapping my diaper as a kid, and since I was completely potty trained before I turned three, then it had to be before that....Or that one time I was in Tiajuana. It's all so hazy now.

I also have a lot of memories living in Alaska that I lived in between ages 3-5. I vividly remember being in a big earthquake in Alaska.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, 3 or so as well.

First memory that is genuine and unaided by photographs is of the hotel on the Adriatic coast where my grandparents took me for winter holidays in 1980.
I remember dining room and hallways of that hotel vividly although I have never been there again and have had no pictures of it.
I also remember my grandfather chatting with people there and reading newspapers. Strangely enough, my grandma does not feature in that memory although I remember her well from other places and times and she certainly would have been around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I was in my 2's. Was riding around the neighborhood in the backseat of my aunt's red convertible looking for her boyfriend. When we found him, he ran off again because he was upset that I got the backseat dirty from standing on the seat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many memories... aided by having my own children.

I must have been about 2-3yo... the red and blue ball with cutouts for yellow shapes. I remember my father working with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember wearing a diaper and stuffing it with wet sand. It was hot outside and the sand was cool and felt good. My mother thought it was really funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

This. It's basically impossible that you remember anything from before you were 3, your hippocampus wasn't done developing yet, and you weren't able to encode memories. Past that, it's incredibly unlikely you remember anything from before you were 4.

I remember being in my crib and peeing on myself because of my parents gleefully telling me about it. I don't really remember this, but it doesn't make the memory go away.

Except "really" remember is odd -- memory is a constructive process anyway; so am I not remembering? I'm simply aware that it's incorrect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
It's basically impossible that you remember anything from before you were 3

Red convertible. Dirty shoes. Aunt's runaway boyfriend.

I know I was 2 because we lived in a different house when I was 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Peeling foil off little chocolate balls in a house built out of giant waffle bricks on christmas.

It must have been three almost four because my sister was present and we hadn't moved yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

This. It's basically impossible that you remember anything from before you were 3, your hippocampus wasn't done developing yet, and you weren't able to encode memories. Past that, it's incredibly unlikely you remember anything from before you were 4.

Oh, my hippocampus was hellah developed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a very clear memory of my mom being pregnant with my brother and her saying "won't it be nice to have a baby brother or sister?" He was born a week before my 4th birthday, so I was three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
I know of two things when I was three (though both are so picked-over for early memories that I suspect I mostly remember remembering them before). One was being absolutely mortified that I scratched my future uncle's hand.

My aunt was babysitting my older brother and me one night and had brought her boyfriend along, and apparently my brother had long wanted to hang a map of the world on our wall, and had somehow persuaded me that this was important to our happiness. My parents must have forbidden it because my dad always hated painting and didn't want holes in the walls. Apparently, my brother was so obvious about his desire to find an opportunity that my dad had warned my aunt and future uncle that we were not to be allowed to put it up. So we waited until they weren't in the room. When we were found out, my future uncle reached up to pull down the map, and I tried to pull his hand back, scratching him in the process. Virtually all of this is reconstructed from my understanding of the people involved and my reaction to the most durable guilt trip I've ever experienced, which my aunt laid on me for it.

The other is also Star Wars. My dad worked nights at a second-run theater, and while I don't remember the movie at all, I remember they had plastic heads of C-3PO and Darth Vader to decorate the lobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

I remember being in my crib and peeing on myself because of my parents gleefully telling me about it. I don't really remember this, but it doesn't make the memory go away.

Except "really" remember is odd -- memory is a constructive process anyway; so am I not remembering? I'm simply aware that it's incorrect.

That has to be some kind of average because I know I have memories from before the age of 4. Some being things nobody ever told me about, exactly the opposite, some of them my mother didn't know about so she couldn't have remembered them for me and based on the house we lived in I wasn't 4 yet.

Anyway I am not sure of which memories were first but I have about half a dozen that are from the 3-4 year old range. My little brother was born when I was three and we hadn't moved out of "apple tree house" which is what we called the home I first remember living in.

I remember eating concord grapes off a vine growing on a house (I am sure there was a trellis but to me they were growing on the wall) with a friend.

I remember my dad climbing the HUGE apple tree and being terrified he was going to fall and get hurt. It actually wasn't huge, my mother was surprised I remembered that when I told her about that memory years later because I was so very young when it happened AND because it was a very small tree to a grown up.

I remember sneaking to look for Christmas presents and finding the one I wanted most in a closet before it was wrapped, but then having to pretend on Christmas I didn't know I was getting it.

I also remember the Moon Landings. The very first ones, when I was about 3 1/2. I remember distinctly my mother sitting me down to watch the TV and telling me I needed to remember this moment because it was one of the most important things that would happen in my life. And I recall fuzzy pictures of men in funny looking suits who looked like they were jumping and floating rather than walking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The acrid stink-sweetness of comingled sulphur and frankincense resin smoke, with a coppery undertone of blood, and peering through the haze at the man who summoned me, then realising, with a bolt of searing joy, that he'd failed to scribe several of the glyphs of protection around the circle correctly, and reaching out with a taloned claw to take what was mine...

Well, you asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Thanks for your posts so far, I really find it very interesting to read all your different memories.
I also try to "attach" a residence to my first memories, to be reasonably sure about the age.

So 2-4 is obvoíously the age-range for first memories.

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum.
Should I ask for moving the thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Gjerde
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
http://landnam.old.no
badge
http://old.no
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
I know of two things when I was three (though both are so picked-over for early memories that I suspect I mostly remember remembering them before).

Same for me; as an older child I used to have a vivid memory from when I was 3 years and 269 days, but now I only remember recollecing the recollection of that, and not the primary memory itself. The reason for the precise dating is that it was my younger brother’s first birthday, and the memory was of my older brother and I unwrapping the presents for him, sitting on the kitchen floor with him crawling beside us. I used to have a few other similar memories which must have been earlier, but which I can’t put an exact date on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
Terwox wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

That has to be some kind of average because I know I have memories from before the age of 4. Some being things nobody ever told me about, exactly the opposite, some of them my mother didn't know about so she couldn't have remembered them for me and based on the house we lived in I wasn't 4 yet.

Anyway I am not sure of which memories were first but I have about half a dozen that are from the 3-4 year old range. My little brother was born when I was three and we hadn't moved out of "apple tree house" which is what we called the home I first remember living in.

I remember eating concord grapes off a vine growing on a house (I am sure there was a trellis but to me they were growing on the wall) with a friend.

I remember my dad climbing the HUGE apple tree and being terrified he was going to fall and get hurt. It actually wasn't huge, my mother was surprised I remembered that when I told her about that memory years later because I was so very young when it happened AND because it was a very small tree to a grown up.

I remember sneaking to look for Christmas presents and finding the one I wanted most in a closet before it was wrapped, but then having to pretend on Christmas I didn't know I was getting it.

I also remember the Moon Landings. The very first ones, when I was about 3 1/2. I remember distinctly my mother sitting me down to watch the TV and telling me I needed to remember this moment because it was one of the most important things that would happen in my life. And I recall fuzzy pictures of men in funny looking suits who looked like they were jumping and floating rather than walking.

Yeah, it's an average.

Here's an article that disagrees w/ me slightly, and says it isn't hippocampal development, but talks about infantile amnesia:
http://brainconnection.brainhq.com/2013/04/22/gone-but-not-f...

Essentially, most of the memories you have from when you were an infant/toddler are false recollections -- essentially implanted memories from stories you heard. (Inception!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.