Hide
6 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Petrification and Cho Chang rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moo Cow
msg tools
If I cannot draw cards, do I still discard two cards? Or, since it's all once instruction, do I only discard two cards if I could draw 3 to begin with?

I'm wondering if I can play it to still roll the die, or if I need to discard (I only have 1 other card in my hand, so I can't play it if I need to).

And with other cards like this - do you follow the instructions in a sentence only if you can follow all of them or is it like MTG where you do as much as you can (like discard the two cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing that card draws cannot happen if under a Petrification effect, but everything else does.

Often those cards that are "draw then discard" don't happen when the Basilisk is active or under a Dark Arts Petrify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Moo Cow wrote:
If I cannot draw cards, do I still discard two cards? Or, since it's all once instruction, do I only discard two cards if I could draw 3 to begin with?

I'm wondering if I can play it to still roll the die, or if I need to discard (I only have 1 other card in my hand, so I can't play it if I need to).

And with other cards like this - do you follow the instructions in a sentence only if you can follow all of them or is it like MTG where you do as much as you can (like discard the two cards).

If you a Petrified or the Basilisk is active and you play Cho Chang, you do not get to draw, but you do have to discard. You do still get to roll the die.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
mbmbmb
And that, kids, is why getting Petrified blows.

That’s one of the most grueling effects to have to play around...and there are some pretty grueling effects to have to play around. (That’s a good thing.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nethershadow wrote:
Moo Cow wrote:

If you a Petrified or the Basilisk is active and you play Cho Chang, you do not get to draw, but you do have to discard. You do still get to roll the die.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly

And... if the die roll comes up "draw a card" - you don't get to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
nethershadow wrote:
Moo Cow wrote:

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly

Sounds good, thanks. I played it that way, but in some games when something is printed as a single sentence, you can ignore the second part if the first part is invalidated. I was actually kind of hoping you'd say that was the case

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.