Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like a lot fast card-games which work great as fillers and I think that in this category Fairy Tale could easily be considered among the best ones.

The game could be described as a kind of fantasy poker, played over four rounds. In each round players draw 5 cards from a 100 cards deck, look at them, keep one and pass the other four to the next player (alternatively clockwise and counter-clockwise, according to the game round). Next, players look at the cards they receive and keep one, passing the remaining three, and so on until they pass (and receive) the fifth card. Then, every player simultaneosly choose and reveal three of the five cards, trying to create combinations which will grant them points at the end of the game, over all the twelve cards they selected and kept.

Cards come in four suites and are classified by type (character, place or legend) and other distinctive elements. Plus, each card has a score and often different parameters that modify the total score according to the other cards in the final setting. For instance, some of the cards grant points only when paired with other ones, while other cards gain values according to the number of identical cards played, and so on. There is a large amount of combinations, so each player may try a different strategy according to the cards he receives.

There is an high level of interaction between players, not only related to the card-swapping mechanism but also caused by some special effects on certain cards which will require players to turn cards on the back side, removing them from the game.

Each game in Fairy Tale lasts for about 15-20 minutes and the game can be played well with 3-4-5 players. It is a very versatile game.

A negative aspect of the game is the bad quality of the cards (in the What's Your Game/Zman game editions), but apart from this it is really difficult to identify defects in a wonderfully tuned and fast playing card game such as Fairy Tale.

I'm playing Fairy Tale as a regular filler with my group since 2005 and it never gets old or boring. Of course, after so many games, the game could feel a little repetitive, but it fares well against the challenge of time.

On a side note, the manga art on the cards is quite good: too bad it is a little too small in relation to the card itself. The game is totally language independent, as the rules on the cards are explained with symbols. You could even buy the original japanese release of the game and play it without problems.

And now, for scoring fans, the game gets 8 ninjas out of 10.
ninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninjarobotrobot

The bottom line: Fantasy fillers do not get much better than this. It is fast, deep, plays well with the whole range of players and it is original too. A mush-have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lampus
United States
Blue Bell
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review, but I think it should be 8 pirates out of 10.

arrrharrrharrrharrrharrrharrrharrrharrrhrobotrobot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creech Sonic
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castef wrote:

On a side note, the manga art on the cards is quite good: too bad it is a little too small in relation to the card itself. The game is totally language independent, as the rules on the cards are explained with symbols. You could even buy the original japanese release of the game and play it without problems.

And now, for scoring fans, the game gets 8 ninjas out of 10.
ninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninjarobotrobot

You may want to look up for the original Japanese version, the art panel is definately bigger ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh?

You sure?

I mean, I'm quite sure that the japanese edition and the What's Your Game edition of the game have identical cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of decisions that Fairy Tale packs into 10 minutes, along with a cool drafting mechanic, all while incorporating a fantasy theme... a perfect filler indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the theme is quite thin.

I consider it an abstract game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True. The application of the theme is non-existent; except for that time when I was playing against the Elven Warrior and nearly lost my left arm to his sword... and that other time the Bronze Dragon nearly got me while walking home. But hey, dragons vs warriors is way cooler than yellow resource cube vs blue auction marker #9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls