Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam W
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
Gotta buy 'em all
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with the different corps. I was second player and chose Helion. So I started with 3 heat production and the ability to turn heat into money.

The first player played a card that reduced an opponents heat production by 2 and gave himself 1 energy production. He targeted me as I was the only player with more than 1 heat production, so before I'd even had a turn I lost a big chunk of my starting production.

I've done some reading through the forum and it seems like there's only 1 or 2 cards that actually reduce an opponents heat production and only 1 that reduces it by 2.

Was it just really bad luck the card was in play on the first round and I was the only one able to be targeted?

Is it a crippling blow to your early game economy to lose it? I felt like it was a struggle all game to get any production going for anything after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vahe K
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you certain it was lower your production by 2, or just your resources? meaning lose two heat resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'd have to agree that you had quite bad luck there. On the bright side, he had to lose a VP to play that card.

(The card is called Heat Trappers, for anyone interested.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam W
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
Gotta buy 'em all
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah he lost a VP for it, but over the course of 8 rounds that caused me to lose at least 2 VP in heat I could have used to raise the temperature at least. Or 16 money I could have used to get more cards into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlucky for sure, but one setback that early in the game didn't spell certain doom. The game is very fluid, usually with many different avenues to still achieve your goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Love Nilsson
Sweden
Trelleborg
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fireslide wrote:
Was it just really bad luck the card was in play on the first round and I was the only one able to be targeted?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Fireslide wrote:
Yeah he lost a VP for it, but over the course of 8 rounds that caused me to lose at least 2 VP in heat I could have used to raise the temperature at least. Or 16 money I could have used to get more cards into play.

As you state yourself, you lost 2 VP, while your opponent lost one (but also likely gained one)
So overall that's a 2 VP swing, but only against you. It's annoying, but not a very big deal...
If your opponent had played a card for 6 that gives him 1 VP, it probably would have been better for him compared to all his opponents in your 4/5p(?) game.
So yeah, it's slightly unlucky that one of your opponents spent resources almost exclusively on hurting your development, but a 2 VP loss can easily be recovered from.

Sebastian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you get a revenge? Starting the game with a nasty card like that usually comes with a price in terms of revenge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Bastinator1 wrote:
So overall that's a 2 VP swing, but only against you. It's annoying, but not a very big deal...

It's a big deal. That's not just 2 VPs, but lost income following the TM rise, and the opportunity to jump in for the extra heat boosts on the temperature track and later the free ocean boost. Production losses early in the game have a much, much greater impact than later, since everything extra you produce grants access to other production increases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
In some games it's always a struggle to get your production going!

With Helion, it's annoying that you were targeted but ultimately not a huge deal in my opinion. You can increase your heat OR energy production to increase your income (along with increasing your TR and Megacredit production of course) and you have something to use your heat for when the temperature has been maxed out, besides the end-game award.

So, unlucky? Yes. Cripplingly so? Not by a mile with that corporation.

A similar thing happened in my last game, except I had Ecoline and was pretty much the only person with any kind of plant engine going on so I was the target of the other three players for all the plant thievery shenanigans and it started with the opening round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam W
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
Gotta buy 'em all
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogtorted wrote:
In some games it's always a struggle to get your production going!

With Helion, it's annoying that you were targeted but ultimately not a huge deal in my opinion. You can increase your heat OR energy production to increase your income (along with increasing your TR and Megacredit production of course) and you have something to use your heat for when the temperature has been maxed out, besides the end-game award.

So, unlucky? Yes. Cripplingly so? Not by a mile with that corporation.

A similar thing happened in my last game, except I had Ecoline and was pretty much the only person with any kind of plant engine going on so I was the target of the other three players for all the plant thievery shenanigans and it started with the opening round.

Yeah it was our first time playing so I didn't really know at the time if it was a crippling blow. Looking back now I've realised the right tempo to maintain and what cards you want to aim to draw/keep. Near the last third of the game I managed to get about 9 energy production (+7 from a card that gave 1 per city in the game), so temperature was maxed out already but it was basically giving me 10 extra income a round to spend on things. Where I failed was not putting anything into plants or greenery tiles so end game scoring I lagged behind a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.