Subject: Activating cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Wolf
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
The rulebook isn't very well-written so I have a few questions about playing cards and activating them before I even sit down to play a game.

First, "play" vs "activate". Are they the same or different? I can "play cards to make them active for that round", but then "to activate a card I place it face up just above [my] Investigator card."

The wording between the Final Preparation phase ("play any additional cards [...] to make them active for the round") and the Investigator phase in Combat ("use activated cards from their hand") suggests that all cards must be played during Final Prep before they can be used. Yet "Moxie activated in the Planning phase does NOT carry over to the Combat phase." Is it more accurate that you can play cards during the Investigator phase, or that only Moxie from cards activated in the Prep phase goes away (eg. when you discard the cards you used to buy new Library cards)?

The former seems more reasonable to me but allows Investigators to activate defensive items in response to things occurring during Combat, whereas the whole presence of Final Prep runs counter to that idea. On the other hand, the latter suggests you can never have Moxie during Combat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ellis
msg tools
publisher
Play = Activate

The intent was what you define in the former.

Please forgive our poor editing in our first game. We were not as consistent with terms as people expect apparently.

We have solid plans to rectify this in future games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wolf
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Okay, so this is how I'm envisioning explaining this when I teach it to my friends. Please correct me if I'm still misunderstanding anything.

Each round is first Planning then Combat. In Planning you can't affect the Minions or the Elder Gods.

Planning: fill the University to five cards. Everyone draws five cards, then, in any order, each player takes their turn.
1. Prep: play cards.
2. Research: spend moxie from cards you played to purchase cards in the University, adding them to your hand. 2 Moxie can also be spent to heal 1 health or sanity. Cards that provide moxie in this way will be discarded after Final Prep.
3. Final Prep: Play any further cards you want active during other players' turns, and the Elder Gods, Mythos, and Minions sections of Combat. You won't get any Moxie from them.
4. Refill the University.

Combat: Elder Gods activate, in order of their current health in case there are more than one. Then draw a Mythos card and follow its instructions, then discard it unless it's Permanent. Then, minions activate, in order of their current health (low to high).

Once all the Minions have been activated, the investigators go, in any order, playing cards from their hand to gain moxie, etc. 1 moxie can be spent for 1 damage to an elder god or minion, and 2 moxie can be spent to heal 1 health or sanity. Minions and elder gods that reach 0 health are defeated and discarded.

Clean up: Discard any cards still in your hand, and any Actions, Equipment, or Spells played. Investigators as a whole may destroy any cards in the University.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ellis
msg tools
publisher
I can see nothing wrong in your understanding of the rules. Great summary!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Portlance
msg tools
So, in the Final Prep Phase do I keep the cards I want to use for Moxie in my hand awaiting the combat phase? Because I've been putting them down in front of my character and using their Moxie for combat.

At this point I don't see why I would keep cards in my hand.

This has always been the "wonky" part of the game to me.

Other than this I do enjoy the game.

-Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Patterson
msg tools
I would say you have to keep them in your hand until combat starts, given that some mythos and the elder God Azathoth will force you to destroy randomly chosen cards still in hand at the beginng of combat. So you have to shuffle your hand and blindly pick a card to destroy each combat for Azathoth, the mythos can make you discard your whole hand or destroy at least one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ellis
msg tools
publisher
You only want to activate defensive cards in final prep as you lose activated moxie between phases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ellis
msg tools
publisher
Psykotikp wrote:
I would say you have to keep them in your hand until combat starts, given that some mythos and the elder God Azathoth will force you to destroy randomly chosen cards still in hand at the beginng of combat. So you have to shuffle your hand and blindly pick a card to destroy each combat for Azathoth, the mythos can make you discard your whole hand or destroy at least one.

Yes... exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Portlance
msg tools
Thanks everyone. Can't wait for the weekend to play with this new knowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad other people struggled over the wording of the rules. The two prep stages and the activate/play issue stymied me too. But I think I get it now.....

It's a good li'l game- and I wondered if expansions are planned sometime (additional Mythos, Minions, investigators and Library assets?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
WyvrenGaming wrote:
You only want to activate defensive cards in final prep as you lose activated moxie between phases.

However there would be no issue with playing cards like "Contacts" to draw cards in final prep, correct? Or use a bandage? I understand that I might have reason to want to use something before the combat phase to avoid losing it, or I might choose to keep it for the same reason, depending on the Elder God and/or permanents currently in play, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Patterson
msg tools
Should be fine. You can use Crucifix during any phase as well, it's an action so it should not be forced only in combat phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ellis
msg tools
publisher
Correct, and yes.

You only want to hold back cards that give you Moxie because you lose Moxie between phases.. anything else is game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
Glad other people struggled over the wording of the rules. The two prep stages and the activate/play issue stymied me too. But I think I get it now.....

It's a good li'l game- and I wondered if expansions are planned sometime (additional Mythos, Minions, investigators and Library assets?)

With the amount of room in that box, I can only assume that the intent is to make expansions, at least I hope it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
WyvrenGaming wrote:
Correct, and yes.

You only want to hold back cards that give you Moxie because you lose Moxie between phases.. anything else is game.

One other question, when a Thousand Young is summoned, either by Elder God or by Mythos, does it generate another Mythos on its first turn in play? Or only subsequent turns? Or once the Mythos step of the phase is over, it's over and you don't get another during the monster phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ellis
msg tools
publisher
Gambit001 wrote:
One other question, when a Thousand Young is summoned, either by Elder God or by Mythos, does it generate another Mythos on its first turn in play? Or only subsequent turns? Or once the Mythos step of the phase is over, it's over and you don't get another during the monster phase?

The Thousand Young's power is executed on the Minion's turn in combat. So, yes you would get an extra Mythos card on the Thousand Young's first appearance.

Now, lets say the Mythos card that is drawn spawns another Minion. That Minion would only get to activate that round if it's health is 6 or greater. This is because Minions activate in order of their health from lowest to highest and a Thousand Young's health is 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.