Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: Finest Treasures : A Cautionary Tale : Push/Pull Doorhandles/ Guidance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian McFarland
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
We overlooked a small part of an upgrade in game 1. We are headed into Game 8. How should we correct the legacy of that small mistake?

Also: make notes or markings on upgrades to ensure correct carry through from game to game/ between plays.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We played our first game in a hotel in another city due to hurricane. A player obtained the Finest Treasure Milestone and put the +1 Glory Sticker on his Province Board. We were not able to play again for another two weeks.

The Blue Trident player then begins to collect treasures. He obtained his first treasure and moved his marker for two glory. The group then asked him ' Why two?', whereupon he points to the +1 Glory Sticker on his treasure room and reminds everyone about the Finest Treasures Milestone. We all say 'Oh, Yeah and nod in agreement.' After all it has been two weeks since we read Entry 429 in the Captain's Booke. Blue player continues to collect treasures through several games. Since it happens infrequently or 10 to 15 minutes apart, and other players are focused on their strategies, the 2 Glory is added without comment or notice.

At game 5, said player decides on an all treasure strategy, basically. Once that happens and he far outpaces the other glory markers- someone mumbles ' that can't be right'... search forums, find entry and then be reminded of the 'after the first treasure addendum sentence....from 4 weeks ago angrysoblue.

The sticker should perhaps include a big red asterisk? Or a (1)? Or be a different color? The blue player was playing a good game, was the most active raider, and took some high-risk dice rolls that came out extremely lucky in his favor, so it was lost in the haze of the game until he did it multiple times in a row. And even then, it was just now that we realized that it has been going on the whole game, cause ya know life, work, election, etc....

It's the psychology of everyday things, you see a vertical door handle and you push- only to discover this is a door to be pulled. The sticker on the treasure room is a crown with a +1 on it!
Right?..I know...I know...careless whispers.

So many things to consider now going in to game 8 (!)
Should we subtract from that player's glory or add a certain amount to everyone elses? And maybe dole out an upgrade to everyone? Suggestions? David? Becq? Bueller?

Note: if you search John Lexington Alliance in the forums you will see how we attempted to correct the problem of the run-away leader when we assumed he was just skillful and lucky and mean. We tried the correct the situation in the world of the game, never thinking to move outside the box. Did you know that is how the nuclear reactor at 3 Mile Island nearly exploded? Check out Don Norman's The Design of Everyday Things (he talks about the doors also).

Out here on the perimeter, there are no stars. We is stoned;immaculate.

[/o]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would suggest making a rough estimate of the excess glory that player took and subtracting that much from his campaign total.

If you think the player has "stolen" more than one or maybe two game wins over the course of the 7 games played erroneously, I would think it appropriate to allow the other players a "free" upgrade each.

Presumably if this player has been in the lead, the other players have been partially handicapped by the box 1 title cards and possibly later stuff I haven't seen, and if they haven't been in the lead they have denied themselves some amount of handicapping, so one or maybe two "stolen" upgrades should hopefully not be a problem if you subtract a chunk of glory from the total.

All this presumes that there's no additional spoilery stuff that makes it somehow a bigger impact (I've only seen through box 1, so please label if you go into further spoilers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify:
(Finest Treasure milestone spoiler)
As a result of that milestone, he should end up getting +1 glory each game, as long as he has at least one treasure at the end of the game. Are you saying that the player in question was gaining +1 glory for each treasure he bought, instead of the first treasure in each game? Do you have a rough idea of how many extra treasures he got rewarded for?

Trying to back out a mistake like this (and I'm assuming that this was an honest mistake on all sides) would be painful. Just for the sake of argument, let's say you had written records of every action, so you knew exactly how many extra +1 glories he got. Subtracting that from his score *seems* fair. And if you knew which games he won, but shouldn't have, you could also adjust end game rewards. But then, wouldn't you also have to do some sort of adjustment to account for the title benefits everyone else was getting, but shouldn't have? And to add title benefits that he should have been getting? And turn order adjustments? And since there was at least one game that he built his strategy around that understanding of the milestone reward, wouldn't he have used a different strategy (and likely made back at least some of those subtracted glory), if he had known? Basically, I doubt there's any way to resolve this by backtracking that's fair.

Out of curiosity, what does the player in question think would be the best way to proceed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I honestly think whatever the group decides is fair will probably work out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How competitive is your group? Is winning important? Cause if that's the case you run the risk of someone feeling cheated out of a win, even if the treasure guy manages to win legitimately.

So what are the dynamics of your group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Random
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Catch up mechanics in this game are pretty good and if he was doing this the whole time he probably missed out on a lot of other valid strategies focusing on treasures. I would say just fix it and keep playing forward. If he won a lot of games then maybe give out 1 free upgrade to every other player or something. I wouldn't try to take anything away from the player, there is no good way to determine a proper amount.

Just remember if something ever feels off check before playing multiple games with it There are lots of those +glory stickers and each is only +1 per game max.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.