BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] SITA - EASY Print-n-Play Available - TGC Adventure Challenge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer

A light adventure game set in ancient mythical India.

The story is a feminist deconstruction of the Ramayana myth, and pastiche of the Osiris Myth and Baal Cycle.

I developed this game for the TheGameCrafter Adventure Challenge Contest due December 5, 2016.

TGC Sita Product Page

1-5 Players
20 Minutes

Components
7 Character Cards
4 Artifact Cards
10 Encounter Cards
12 Location Squares
1 Sun Marker
1 Dharma Bag
33 Cubes

DOWNLOADS
Rules Booklet PDF
Low-Ink Print and Play PDF
[Letter or A4] - With instructions, rules, and just 4 pages to cut up!

My older game WIPs (with print and plays)
Explore The Galaxy - 18 Card Microgame
FRESH Big Time - 80's Wall Street Microgame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Re: [WIP] SITA - Ancient Indian Theme - TGC Adventure Challenge
Background Story

Second Age of Man.

The avatara of Vishnu, Rama, is lost again in the forest. Alone, he is defeated by the rival King of the Rakshasa. The Rakshasa dismember him and scatter his essence throughout the land. This marks the beginning of the end of the Second Age. Queen Sita, and a group of rival heroes, must travel the Kingdom of Kosala to collect his dismembered parts before the sun is consumed. These heroes will choose between conflict and peace in the final battle for the age...

Rules Overview

Coming Soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Icon Designs

The core mechanic of the game involves earning cubes at different locations, and then spending them to either defeat encounters through conflict or peace. These icons on the cards and locations are sized to the 8mm cubes.

The first 5 are location icons; temple, river, forest, mountains, and sun. Characters with matching icons earn an extra cube.

The next 3 are affinity icons that make peace resolutions less costly.

The final 3 are conflict icons that similarly help conflict resolutions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carolyn Choate
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
As a Hindu, I'm intrigued.

Not sure what Osiris and Baal have to do with it, though. Is it Indian or is it "universal"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TimST1E wrote:
Icon Designs

The core mechanic of the game involves earning cubes at different locations, and then spending them to either defeat encounters through conflict or peace. These icons on the cards and locations are sized to the 8mm cubes.

Hey Tim!

Just popping by- looks interesting! Good work on the icons- I can see the colors fine, but why the dotted line around the first 4? I can see those relate to "earth" somehow- as opposed to the "sun" in the 5 icon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
cm006j wrote:

Not sure what Osiris and Baal have to do with it, though. Is it Indian or is it "universal"?
Thanks for your interest, I will be posting more soon.

The story is a historically more realist retelling/sequel to the Ramayana, where Sita is the hero and Rama is dead. Locations and enemies will primarily be from India. For a historical adventure game I wanted a unique setting. I'm also including some elements from Egyptian and Uguratic myth, parallels with southeast Asia, as a sort of implicit criticism of structuralist Indo-European mythography --- well at least there will be some unique world building.

govmiller wrote:
Just popping by- looks interesting! Good work on the icons- I can see the colors fine, but why the dotted line around the first 4? I can see those relate to "earth" somehow- as opposed to the "sun" in the 5 icon.
Cool!

Right now those 4 icons are on the character cards. There are matching icons on the locations except the dashes are on the bottom. This represents a character needing to be at the matching location to earn 1 extra cube. The sun works differently -- you always get a cube if you are at the same location as the sun marker. I'm hoping that visually this works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
cm006j wrote:

The "a god is killed and dismembered and pieces are scattered across the land to be recovered by a faithful goddess" is seen in both the Osiris myth, and the final part of the Ba'al Cycle which concerns Mot.

The story itself is a fairly common trope in myths with deities that are either seen as vegetation deities or deities of the dead (or both).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carolyn Choate
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yes, basically I know that there are common tropes in myths but I wanted the designer to make sure that he is focused when it comes to his theme here. If it is taking place in India then it isn't all of these stories, it is just one of them (or rather it's a made up variation since this isn't what happens in Ramayana!) If that makes sense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
cm006j wrote:
Yes, basically I know that there are common tropes in myths but I wanted the designer to make sure that he is focused when it comes to his theme here. If it is taking place in India then it isn't all of these stories, it is just one of them (or rather it's a made up variation since this isn't what happens in Ramayana!) If that makes sense!

Actually no, I'm not quite understanding what you are saying.

Are you saying that if he places the game in India, and uses names from Hindu mythology he can't also mix myths and use a common mythological story type from other cultures because that would be cross-cultural contamination?

Because that is what your response sounds like to me.

Edit: Sorry if this is derailing things for the game! I'm willing to take a response in geekmail, if you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I welcome a discussion on the story!

The Ramayana has been retold for hundreds of years across southern to Eastern Asia, so there are various versions with different cultural contexts already. I'm hoping to challenge parts of the myth.

I'm throwing in some Semitic myth characters and events that shouldn't belong to mix it up.

I am hoping to focus on a strong aesthetic and overall theme where everything works together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I've been doing tonnes of work on the game over the last two weeks. Several playtest iterations. The gameplay and rules are about done, but there is still a good amount of artwork.

I' hoping to have a low-ink Print and Play up very soon. In the mean time, here are some card back designs just finished:

Artifact, Character, Encounter, and Location. The encounter cards have the sun marker passing over them... that part will likely change a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
The character cards are nearing completion.

A couple of the special abilities will likely change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Paardekooper
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice concept! It's really fascinating how religions and other stories all over the world have influenced/originated from one another. I liked your other PnP games of last year so I will subscribe to this one as well... Really like the card backs art! However they could be a bit more vibrant? From what I know, in India the colours scream at you.
I must say that I don't really like the art for the characters, especially the arms look a bit off.. (Not that I could do any better)
Looking forward to what you will do with this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Final PnP not quite ready... But I have some previews of encounter cards and an artifact card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I've spent most of the day and night finishing the game assets for the contest. It is now submitted. I do not have the Print-and-Play ready yet and I'm too exhausted right now.

I have a question about the Print-and-Play. The game cards are all irregular sizes: 21 2x3.5 inch "business" cards and 12 3.5x3.5 inch squares. In my prototypes I just print them on paper and cut them up, but they aren't as nice as poker sizes with sleeves.

Is poker sized important for print and play? Should I make a version that is all poker sized? The framing will have to be off a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Excellent art, when will the rules and components be available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TimST1E wrote:

I have a question about the Print-and-Play. The game cards are all irregular sizes: 21 2x3.5 inch "business" cards and 12 3.5x3.5 inch squares. In my prototypes I just print them on paper and cut them up, but they aren't as nice as poker sizes with sleeves.

Is poker sized important for print and play? Should I make a version that is all poker sized? The framing will have to be off a little.

First, congrats on finishing it up. Can't wait to try it out.

Personally I'm fine with any card size (I've never used sleeves), as long as construction is straightforward
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
countdown321 wrote:
Excellent art, when will the rules and components be available?
PnP be ready very soon, working on it. The rules booklet is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1mwtqahgP-ddWROazJGMklMc1... but the PnP will have a cleaner rules with it.

vialick wrote:
First, congrats on finishing it up. Can't wait to try it out.

Personally I'm fine with any card size (I've never used sleeves), as long as construction is straightforward
Thanks. I'll take your advice, I will stick to the regular sizes. That's a lot easier right now anyways. I can do a poker card pnp later if people really request it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
The Low-Ink Print and Play is available! You just need to cut up 4 pages.

The hardest part is the 33 cubes. I got some at the Dollar Store for my original prototype. I printed the cards black and white so I used colored pencils to fill int eh icons with the cube colors that matched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Sita is now in the BGG system:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/215393/sita
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I originally put together a rules booklet last minute for the contest. I left formatting the document itself to the end because the Rules were not part of the contest rubric. I've just re-done a better organized version of the Rules booklet:
Rules Booklet PDF

Now that I've done the rules in tiny booklet and page form for the pnp, I think I prefer the larger page format for rules. Tiny booklets seem neat but all the separate tiny pages are not really a good way to display game instructions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to say that I've printed the cards and am looking forward to playing. Haven't have time yet. Great theme!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
GreenTea532 wrote:
Just want to say that I've printed the cards and am looking forward to playing. Haven't have time yet. Great theme!
Thanks, awesome!

Let me know how it goes, if the rules make sense. I haven't had a chance to do much in the way of blind playtesting yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Coward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Tim, these are absolutely stunning cards. I'm looking forward to seeing the final version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to the full art PNP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.