Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I needed a game that would scale to up to 8 players, so I bit the bullet and shelled out the high price tag for Turfmaster Deluxe. Figuring I was already in that deep I shelled out another $20.00 on one of the course collections (a double sided board...two more tracks).Therin came the dilema. The extra board will not fit in the box, because of the insert.

The insert is great for an unexpanded game. You don't really want to toss it aside, so here is the simple solution.

Simply take the empty insert and flip it over. Then take a utility or hobby knife or boxcutter and slice the bottom of the two deep pockets in the middle about halfwaydown it, all around their perimeters. Now you are left with two gaping holes and two intact bottom parts. Take the two bottoms and force them back over the holes you've cut and use some glue (hobby cement). Now the two deep pockest are 3/4 to 1 inch shallower, leaving plenty of room under the insert for extra boards, while the insert is just as useful as it ever was. And there is enough room in the two pockets for my other improvement, which is...

You can get rid of the need for pencil and paper to keep score. Just take Three each of 4 different color poker chips and label them 50, 30 20 ,and 10, and hand them out to players according to their finish. Make more if you think you'll be having more races in a meet (I made six of each). Add each player's chip values at the end of the meet. Then put away your pencil and paper.

While I may gripe a bit about the price for "delux", I don't regret owning it. It's a huge hit with my friends, highly requested, and infinitely replayable. This game begs for a more accessable edition (i.e. cheaper).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
United Kingdom
london
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is such a great idea. Thank you Mark for suggesting it. I have all of the extra courses so I had to completely remove the deep pockets. But having done so the 3 extra boards fit in perfectly. It is a far better solution than abandoning the insert completely which I was about to do. And now one less box on the shelf. Result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
M√ľnster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,
I made the same thing with the inlay after getting expansion II, even though I hadn't read this thread before.

With the poker chips, also a nice idea, but I prefer the sheet, as this serves also to document the play, so that you can have a look at it later...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls