$30.00
foldedcard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Just a few rules additional rules questions:

1. Am I correct that the quick start assumes a 4 player game but doesn't state it or did I just misread the rulebook? In our first three player game, we didn't realize until it was too late that we should have started with 12 food (as shown on page 10) in the base instead of the 8 described in the quick start.

2. Story mode. Is the correct sequence Scout, Refugees, Map, Expand, ... or is it Scout, Activate, Refugees, Onslaught, ... (My guess is the latter.)

3. Close combat when Brute enters a base. Let's see if I have this right: If players are present, the Brute deals damage to 1 player (unless there are 3 or more players in the space) and is then stunned. It does not recover from being stunned until the next enemy main phase. If players are not present, it does not eat food and does not suffer damage.

4. Is the brute the only enemy that can be stunned?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schroeder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Re: More rules questions
foldedcard wrote:
Just a few rules additional rules questions:

1. Am I correct that the quick start assumes a 4 player game but doesn't state it or did I just misread the rulebook? In our first three player game, we didn't realize until it was too late that we should have started with 12 food (as shown on page 10) in the base instead of the 8 described in the quick start.

You are correct. We went for simplicity in the quick start, so did not specify the food adjustment based on player numbers.

foldedcard wrote:
2. Story mode. Is the correct sequence Scout, Refugees, Map, Expand, ... or is it Scout, Activate, Refugees, Onslaught, ... (My guess is the latter.)

The first sequence, Scout, Refugees, Map, Expand.

foldedcard wrote:
3. Close combat when Brute enters a base. Let's see if I have this right: If players are present, the Brute deals damage to 1 player (unless there are 3 or more players in the space) and is then stunned. It does not recover from being stunned until the next enemy main phase. If players are not present, it does not eat food and does not suffer damage.

Correct on all counts. Note that if he is standing on the base unstunned, you cannot trade with base.

foldedcard wrote:
4. Is the brute the only enemy that can be stunned?

Currently yes. The Gas Testing task also uses the stun mechanic. We do plan to use it more in the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foldedcard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick repsonses!

I have been playing with my two boys and we've been having a lot of fun even though we haven't won yet. You guys ran me through a demo at WashingCon and I picked up a copy at EuroQuest in MD. 3 player seems a bit harder than that 4 player demo.

Definitely interested in the expansion. When do you think you will kickstart it?

Btw, have you guys read Wool. Unknown has a bit of that feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schroeder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
foldedcard wrote:
3 player seems a bit harder than that 4 player demo.

The 4 player demo we usually run is a short tile stack with 1 less enemy, so it's both quicker and a little easier than a standard game. I'm not sure which group you were in at WashingCon, but most of the games I ran had higher-than-average-for-a-con communication, which helps too.

foldedcard wrote:
Definitely interested in the expansion. When do you think you will kickstart it?

We are planning for sometime next year, though anything more precise than that we really can't say with any confidence.

foldedcard wrote:
Btw, have you guys read Wool. Unknown has a bit of that feel.

No, but now I guess it needs to go on my list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.