10 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Must you play the phase you selected? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jo farmer
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Hello. silly question and I think I know the answer, but say in a hypothetical two player game (advanced rules) that player 1 chose explore and develop, while player 2 chose explore and settle. If, theoretically player 2 got such good cards on the explore phase that he managed to Develop a card he wanted, and that this left him without enough cards to settle (or that he changed his mind about settling ). Is the player obliged to play any phase that he himself chooses? I think not as plans change on the fly and you don't have to settle or develop on a phase chosen by someone else, but I would just like to check. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, the phase happens but you never have to take advantage of it.

The exception is, of course, the Consume action which is required of all players when it occurs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:

The exception is, of course, the Consume action which is required of all players when it occurs.
To mince words, you DO have to take advantage of powers that you have for other phases unless the text or description or portions of it are prefaced with the "you may" clause. For example, if you have Interstellar Bank, you must take 1 card into your hand. You can't choose to not take discounts if you build cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:

The same applies to explore & produce too but I can't think any scenario where you wouldn't want to explore or produce...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another direction to approach it:

You don't need to select a development / planet to develop / settle even if you could. However, if you selected one, you need to develop / settle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Coren wrote:

The same applies to explore & produce too but I can't think any scenario where you wouldn't want to explore or produce...

It's getting "meta" if not already there, but...

For Explore, not using optional "draw extra cards" could force the reshuffle quicker than not. Heck, I know some people dread reshuffling that deck laugh

With V:
--Drawing extra cards can force a reshuffle quicker.
--Getting a good means if IV is called, you'll be forced to spend it for VP which can also end the game sooner
--In Brink Of War, gaining Prestige can end the game sooner
--BoW again, getting extra cards can go towards the player with Retro Fit & Salvage (he takes your end of round discarded cards into hand after discarding himself)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Coren wrote:

To mince words, you DO have to take advantage of powers that you have for other phases unless the text or description or portions of it are prefaced with the "you may" clause. For example, if you have Interstellar Bank, you must take 1 card into your hand. You can't choose to not take discounts if you build cards.

True, I should have used different phrasing, but hopefully with this answer it's clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
--In Brink Of War

Don't confuse the OP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v77SF4TFUoM

Fizbin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jo farmer
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the posts! They've been very helpful. love the fizbin link......I swear I've played that game before!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.