Mark Slater
United Kingdom
Newport
Newport, South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 hours with Yog-Shoggoth

We played our First game of Arkham Horror, 3 players.

I had the Gangster, Dave had the “Indiana Jones” type character, and Anthony had the “Debutant” with 2 pistols.
Started slowly, first Portal opening in the Unvisited Isle (which would turn out to be a very visited Isle though the game).
There was 2 monsters on the gate, A Cthulian (sp) and a witch. I took on the Cthulian, as I had a Tommy Gun and High fight rating. It nearly killed me, I used all my clue rolls to finally win, I was on 1 Stamina. Dave Killed the Witch and sealed the Gate with an Elder sign.

At this point I will say that we missed a rule on closing gates, that may have gone towards the rather rapid terror level increase, we were not removing monsters with symbols that match the gates that we closed/sealed.

My next stop was the hospital, gates started popping everywhere, and the Terror level was soon enough to close the General Store (typically the turn before I had planned going back there). I went to back to the Hospital to heal after a few more monster encounters in the streets, good choice too, as that turn a Hound of Tindalos got moved, and, as Dave was also in the hospital, Antony was its choice. He lost and got moved to the hospital and lost 50% of his gear. So, we all traded items and set off trying to seal more gates.

With the Terror levels creeping up, I decided to head for the Curiosity Shop to get some magical aid ( I had none at this point, and was relying on brute force on the beasties) I managed to get one round of shopping done, before I had to sacrifice 2 gate tokens to stop and enviomental event from causing 2 gates to open every mythos round. This was averted, but the terror level raised and the Curiosity Shop, closed, kicking Dave out into the street.

At this point we had sealed 4 gates, but 5 remained open, time to clean up. I with my low lore, went for a Dreamlands Gate +1 at the Unamable house, with a Dark Young on it, poor combat rolls meant when I killed it I had 1 life and 2 Sanity. I only had 3 clues, but I was hoping to pick up some during the trip, I didn’t get any. What a Trip!! First encounter, I had to roll Luck [-2] or get lost in time and space (but as Yog was our GOO, that = Devoured) I returned to Arkham and successfully closed the gate. I had an encounter in the house, that threatened to get me lost in time and space again!!! It was a Speed roll.
As I was in the outworlds, I thought a good strategy would be to drop my Speed, as you can only move one, giving me a boost on sneak if required, so on one Dice I needed 5or6 to live. I failed, so I burned my 3 clue tokens, on the last token rolled a 5!! Safe…. only to have another gate open right on top of me, sending me back to the Dreamlands…on 1 health and 2 sanity!! But this time the trip was uneventful, but I had to face the monster on the gate and close it. When I returned.

With the gate closed, I made a dash for the hospital, got healed and then traded in my trophies at the boarding house for an ally – the Dog that give +1 Sanity.

While I was tripping through the dreamlands, dave was in the Silver Twilight lodge, repeatedly encountering the Inner Sanctum. His logic was "I paid for this damn membership, so i'm staying until I get something good from it". Eventually he got a "Choose any Unique item from the Deck" reward, which he decided was his 'just reward'.

We now had 3 gates to go, I went for another +1 gate, this time stocked up with 9 clue tokens. I headed for the Science Building, the cultist at the gate was easily dealt with, through the gate I went, losing sanity due to strange architecture, and a monster attacked! I killed the Witch, and returned and sealed the gate.

Antony and Dave managed to close the last 2 remaining gates, Dave had 2 monsters to deal with, but with his magic +6 sword from the Silver Twilight lodge, they were easily depatched.

we had kept Yog-Shoggoth from our world, with a number of close calls.

It was a monster 7 hour game, there was plenty going on and events I havn’t mentioned, but overall we enjoyed our first game, and I’m really looking forward to trying it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Verrette
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a 7 hour game you still want to play? zombie

Almost as long as an Cthulhu RPG adventure ;-)
I salute you. Wish I had a gaming group that was willing to play AH that long...or at least want to play it at all.

Based on my group gaming experience, anything beyond 2 1/2 - 3 hours doesn't cut it. At least my copy of AH is getting a sort of revival: My two preteens are getting in to it so there's hope ;-)

Salutations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls