Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you hire an assistant and immediately discard him because you have no room? I can see two situations in which this might be useful.

Late in the game, you are hiring assistants for the last time, and hiring one more would give you the fund-raiser bonus ($2 per investor, $1 per collector) which is more than you pay for the assistant.

You use a Kicked-Out action (placing an assistant who was already on the board) to take a reputation tile or a contract action, and choose the bonus "Hire an assistant for free" in order to get the bonus for hiring that assistant. Similarly, you could use a Kicked-Out action in the international auction to take the bonus "Hire an assistant for free".

You might also be forced to take the action if you discover an artist whose bonus is to hire a free assistant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
David Grabiner wrote:
Can you hire an assistant and immediately discard him because you have no room? I can see two situations in which this might be useful.

Yes, you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I would have said no you can not. Per the rule book (pg 11). The first step of the action says "1. Moves up to 4 Assistants from the top of the Player's unemployment queue to empty desks in his office" - emphasis is mine.

Also in the example of of the action on pg 11. it reads "yellow wants to hire more assistants. She currently has one in her office and can therefore hire up to three more.",

Both of these statements make me think you are limited to hiring only the number of workers based on empty desks.

IF you want to house rule it, that is fine, but per the written rules, I would say no you can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, hopefully: 2016 - Lisboa, 2017 - A Colony in Mars, 201? - Escape plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris is correct. You cannot hire more assistants if you Don't have work to them.
It does not make any sence to hire more guys just to fire the ones already working for you. Well, it shouldn't happen anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vita Est Certamine
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Kilroy was here
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:
Chris is correct. You cannot hire more assistants if you Don't have work to them.
It does not make any sence to hire more guys just to fire the ones already working for you. Well, it shouldn't happen anyway.

It shouldn't happen that way, but it does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chen
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
As a follow-on to the original question, if your Office is full of Assistants, and you do an action that gets you a free Assistant (such as in the International Market Auction), what happens to that new Assistant?

Discarded?

Or, is the Player prevented from doing that action in the first place? (Since part of the action cannot be fulfilled?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, hopefully: 2016 - Lisboa, 2017 - A Colony in Mars, 201? - Escape plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not recal from the top of my mind, but I'm almost certain you don't get the guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.