5 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion Painting Progress: Opener of the Way rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opener of the Way... For this faction, I tried keeping the "promote" feature in mind. Each monster is a natural (d)evolution of the last... so I tried keeping all the features consistent as you go up the food chain, all the way up to Yog-Sothoth himself.

Mutants:

The description for these guys say the guy's expression should be that of "GET AWAY! SAVE YOURSELF!"... but I couldn't bring myself to paint a wide-open, shocked eye 'cause the sculpt looked more like he was squinting tightly. I went back and forth on that issue for a while. =P I tried to paint the developing sacs as though they were sub-dermal... highlighted in skin tone and shaded in purple (faction/sac color).

Abominations:

Honestly, I wanted to do reddish tentacles, but I thought that looked too much like "guts"... so I went the opposite. This guy is a mutant... with a much more severe problem. He's not ripping his skin off and gutting himself, he's shedding a chrysalis... becoming something... more. Again, more sub-dermal painting attempts here.

Spawn of Yog-Sothoth:

The abominations have fully matured and a Spawn of Yog-Sothoth is born (what I imagine to be Wilbur Whately's twin brother, the REAL Dunwich Horror). My one regret with this paint-up is that I should have painted more red/pink "soreness" near the wounds and folds of flesh.

Yog-Sothoth:

The description for this sculpt describes those sacs as gelatinous and translucent (rather than cosmic spheres)... so I tried to paint them to look slimy and translucent with a little bit of a gem effect. The concept art seems to have a bright red glow coming from his forehead, so I tried my hand at that, keeping with the bones and "gigeresque piping" that weaves in and out of the sacs described in the art book. Since Yog-Sothoth has a bright red glowing... THING... I echoed that down through the food chain, so the Spawns and Abominations have red eyes, signs of Yog-Sothoth's power growing within.

I haven't yet painted the cultists, but that's pretty standard fair. I'll probably update this thread with a nice family portrait when those cultists get done, but for now, I'm switching gears from Cthulhu Wars once again... My copy of The Others arrived and I'm eager to paint some Sins! =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH5000 X
msg tools
mbmbmb
Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Gouveia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best opener ever. Excelent color choice. Premium execution of job painting.

I always think painters strugle to take the color scheme right for opener. You just read my mind.

Perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Norton
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
Have you Seen it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing paint up Paul, I especially like Opener! Very well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.