Subject: Making progressively more dangerous tower levels? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've seen a few complaints, mostly in reviews I think, about the tower levels all being the same since they all draw from the same encounter deck.

So I was wondering, if I separated the cards into 3 decks, one for each tower level and based on the brute force value of each card, maybe that would help differentiate the levels into an increasingly more difficult and richer rewards (not including loot/treasure cards) as you advance in the tower levels.

Might there be a better way to create 3 separate decks?
(By not using the brute force values?)

Btw brute force breakdown is as follows of 227 base game encounter cards.
(I seem to be missing some because my total card count 221 doesn't match what's listed in the manual 227.

Preliminary/sample breakdown per tower to make 3 separate decks.
-Shuffle up all Chaos cards (33) and distribute them in the amounts shown in the different levels below.
-Then of course shuffle up each level indepently including the Chaos cards for those levels.

Brute Force Rating - Qty

Dungeon level
4-13
5-23
6-18
7-20
Chaos-6
-----
Sub-total

Temple level
8-20
9-5
10-18
11-11
Chaos-13
-----
Sub-total

Spire level
12-17
13-9
14-10
15-6
17-1
18-9
19-3
20-2
21-2
25-1
Chaos-14
-----
Sub-total

------
Total
221 of 227

For what it's worth for card count purposes, I have
7 ref cards (not listed in the manual)
That brings me to a card count of...
228 (1 extra?)
I wonder if that's why it seems I'm missing some cards?

Separating these cards is quite a chore since they are so small and hard to read and My poor eyes need a lighted magnifying glass lol

Editing for clean up and recalibration (thematic distribution of cards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Allmon
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Interesting, I think this would be worth checking out. I think that you are right, the rings do not do much once they are aligned in a solo game especially and there is no driver to get up the rings since the rewards are the same

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this a good idea. maybe shuffle some temple level into dungeon and spire to even out the stacks. I will have to try this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
GIlbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the list. This will also solve my problem of having a giant stack of cards to deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kwon
msg tools
mb
Here's my longer way. I include all cards from all expansions : 235 without chaos cards
Round up all costs (fight skill charm) to the next even number. Add then divide by 2
This is roughly the number of cards needed.
A card in your deck is worth 2 of any fight/skill/charm. That's the average worth

1 fight 2 charm 3 skill needs 4 cards

1st deck is made of 1 and 2 : 93 cards
2nd deck all 3 and some 4 : 79 cards
3rd deck 63 cards

Regarding cards that are worth 4, I put in deck 3 cards that require only 1 type since you have less chance to have more cards of one type. Especially fight.
That's why I also put cards that needs more fight in deck 3

That way you can easily face the 1st ring since you need less cards. One must be well prepared to face the 3rd ring
I don't speak english so please bear with it
I made an excel sheet where I seperated all cards according to their fight/charm/skill cost.
I also organized my cards according to what they're worth once in your deck
My maths are not accurate because I don't know how to manage cards that are worth 2 of this AND/OR 2 of that

Last, I set aside the 39 chaos cards. Replace with cards used to make starting deck. Mix 16 in 1st deck 13 in 2nd 10 in 3rd to keep the proportions. Or you can throw any number you wanted depending on how often you wish to encounter chaos cards
That way you don't have the same chaos cards in each deck from a session to another.

Biggest issue is facing foe in the first ring since deck cards can be weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baker
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many of you have tried something like this? Did you like the way it played out compared to a single encounter deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.