Subject: Hybrid like games that work with 2 player also rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Mourtoulakis
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looking for that game that just hits the spot. I'm fairly new into board gaming so I have lots to try and work out what I really like.

Looking at these games:
Cry Havoc
Hyperborea
Clockwork wars
Forbidden Stars
Nexus Ops
Kemet
City of Remnants
Terraforming Mars Not sure why I added this in here haha

What I am chasing is multiple paths to victory
Variable player powers
Exploration and/or research/upgrade/techs paths
Can play 2 player
Prefer mini's but not a show stopper
Prefer to be 2 hours or less

I would like to hear people's thoughts on these games or other recommendations.
I'm sure I have missed something but hopefully this will start conversations about these games.

Thanks for taking the time!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that our game group has Blood Rage. I do enjoy that game but I don't need to own a copy of it.

So far recommended:
Hyperborea
Cry Havoc
Clash of Cultures x 2
Eclipse
Mare Nostrum: Empires

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did Terraforming Mars make it in there? That's a vastly different game, compared to the others.

In general, I would say, these games work better with four players than with two, but two players is an option, of course.

Cry Havoc, for example, should work well with two and also cover most of your points.

You missed some of the big names, like Blood Rage, Chaos in the Old World, or Cthulhu Wars, but I don't think those are that good with just two players (dunno about Cthulhu Wars, never played that, but I do about the other two).

I would also take a look at Clash of Cultures. That one should cover all your points (variable player powers only with the expansion, which isn't really necessary).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

What I am chasing is multiple paths to victory
E Kind of. The game is scenario-based, so the victory conditions do differ indeed very much, just as the special rules and setup of a specific scenario.

Variable player powers
E The game comes with 4 different characters, each having unique set of skills. Nice detail: the character sheets are double-sided for both genders.

Exploration and/or research/upgrade/techs paths
E Absolutely. Exploring the randomly generated island is essential in every scenario and you start each scenario with a set of technology and items you can develope/build. While there are basic technologies/items, the game adds variety by adding X randomised other technologies/items to the mix. During the game, you can also discover and add new stuff.

Can play 2 player
E Absolutely. It also works really well as a solitaire game. There are 2 additional optional supporting "dummy" characters which you can add without adding much rules or making it feel like you are playing for 2 players, because these dummy characters are very streamlined.

Prefer mini's but not a show stopper
E No minis, sorry.

Prefer to be 2 hours or less
E Depends. In my experience, a game usually goes on for about 2 hours, the box says "90-180 minutes", which is vague but pretty accurate. In the end, it comes down to the amount of players, how familiar you are with the game (your first games will be slow) and which scenario you are playing. A shorter game usually means that you lost badly, which can happen quite often.

My opinions/additional thoughts: Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is a very popular game, and for many good reasons.

The replay value is very high (different and unique scenarios and characters, high amount of encounter cards for which other games would require an expansion), it is highly thematic, the components are great, it plays equally well with any amount of players, it's very challenging and winning will for sure trigger genuine cheering and high fives in your group.

Still, there are a few negatives with this game. The rules are not only complex, but also complicated (although this should be addressed to some degree with the release of the 2nd edition). Don't expect to open the box and play the game on the very same day, it just won't happen -- you really have to do your homework on this game, otherwise you will add another level of frustration (I will come back to that). The main reason for this complexity is the game's deeply implemented theme, which is indeed great, but it's a double-edged sword.

Speaking of frustration, this game is not only hard, it's also swingy and if bad stuff happens to you in this game, it can lead to chain-reacting bad events that can cripple your entire game. There are random events and dice, so be prepared for some randomness. Another negative is that the game can be very prone to the Alpha Gamer problem, meaning that one player takes control and orders everyone else what to do. The reason why Robinson Crusoe is so prone to this problem is, that there is no hidden information on the players and everyone shares a common pool of items. The planning phase also has to be done simultanously in order to have an effective turn, so people have to agree on who is doing what on a turn before everything resolves.

It's a great game, if you are not afraid of complex games, somewhat resistant to frustration and looking for a challenging and highly thematic adventure game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Hyperborea
fits all your criteria

+1 Forbidden Stars
might be too long
only one way to victory: fighting

From the rest of your list I've only played Kemet but I didn't like this. I'd rather play Blood Rage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe try Mare Nostrum Empires?
Minis - yup
Works with 2 - yup (although works better with more)
Variable powers - yup
Development - yup (geting new Heroes/Wonders gives you more special powers)
Two hours - doable, especially with less players.
Different paths to victory - yup! Military, cultural, leadership...
And what is really appealing to me - you do not get any points. There are 4 victory conditions - meet one and you have won

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Clash of Cultures.

Also, Eclipse seems like a decent fit. 2p is definitely not as good as it gets, and is vastly improved by the Rise of the Ancients expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Mourtoulakis
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
+1 Hyperborea
fits all your criteria

+1 Forbidden Stars
might be too long

From the rest of your list I've only played Kemet but I didn't like this. I'd rather play Blood Rage.

I think you are right on Forbidden Stars for it might be taking too long.
Is it more than 2 hours?

misioooo wrote:
Maybe try Mare Nostrum Empires?
snip

I haven't heard of Mare Nostrum Empires before. Looks alright, I will have a look into it

Kyur wrote:

I'm not sure I am chasing a coop game but my god this game does look good.
When I look at my next coop game this will be a contender (nearly all the games I own are coop)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaliba wrote:
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
+1 Hyperborea
fits all your criteria

+1 Forbidden Stars
might be too long

I think you are right on Forbidden Stars for it might be taking too long.
Is it more than 2 hours?

Yes, but I guess you can get it to 45min per player if you are familiar with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.