$20.00
$30.00
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got to play through this entire scenario. This will be a combined AAR and review. I will apologize ahead of time for the rambling, but the battle wore me out and frayed my nerves.

I know I made loads of mistakes playing this, but hopefully they balance out. It was very tense at the end as the British almost succeeded in capturing all of the victory hexes, but they did not and the Germans, on last turn recaptured a couple of hexes so the Germans won on VP's (they received lots more per victory hex than the Brits)

There is a lot of stuff to keep track of and lots of "DOH !" moments when I realized I did something stupid that might have worked had I only changed the sequence of actions. Well, everything is a learning experience so I don't mind. That is why they don't make new General out of new recruits . Need to start at the bottom and work my way up. Next time hopefully will do better.

As a solo player, kind of tough to keep track of all of the possible options available to the "non phasing" player. This is not IGO UGO at all. Each turn there is lots for each side to do, but each action has potential risk so be careful. I played conservatively so I would not have to keep track of every option on every turn. As I get more experience, I should get more flexible and innovative.

I have, in an earlier post, already commented on the great components, support materials, and designer support so will just remind everyone that this is an incredibly "complete" game.
Now I can add that it is loads of fun and a great challenge. I imagine that replay ability would be endless.

Now I need to decide whether to play this scenario again and fine tune my skill or go on to another one. So many to choose from, but only several appropriate for a solo player with limited time.

So, if you are on the fence about Operation Dauntless and you enjoy challenging detailed war games with rules that "make sense" don't wait any longer. However, if lots of rules,new mechanisms and options each turn are not your cup of tea, you might want to pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for posting. 18.2 plays really quick. It's very static for the Germans as they pretty much just try and hold out and take out some tanks when they can. I thought it solo'd really well because there aren't a ton of decisions for the Germans. I haven't been able to beat the Germans...but close. Last game I thought I had it, but nope. I'm going to try again playing extremely aggressively...maybe even add some optional rules.

It plays in about an hour not including setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario 2 sounds good. Will try that next if I ever have time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.