$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this game twice tonight and I'm left confused.

Raph, Mikey, Donnie and Splinter are set up and first turn Raph moves forward and alpha strikes Shredder, both times for like a 10 die attack thanks to Splinter's Meditation. Donnie and Mikey run up and manage to throw enough damage to drop Shredder down to two or three, with enough spare to wipe out two of the four foot on the board. (A focus got spent to spawn another one.)

Start of turn two, Raph kills Shredder and the heroes have only four Foot to worry about for the rest of the turn while Splinter and Donnie move to try and make Focus 8 checks.

Were we doing something wrong? Because both times we steam-rolled Shred-head hard and with only 3 spawn points the Foot never ever had enough soldiers on the board to actually threaten the turtles.

Also they put the graphics layer for the spawn points and hero starts over the terrain icons, we missed them first battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Butler
United States
White Sands Missile Range
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of confused by your description, it doesn't seem to give much information about what you actually did to tell what you did right and what do you did wrong- what's an "alpha strike"?

But more importantly, how did you get two attacks with ten dice each? Raph's strongest attack special move is Kick Shell, which costs 2 katanas, and gives 6 attack (4 + Raph's base attack of 2), plus another 1 attack for each additional katana spent- so ten dice on that would require you to spend a total of 6 katanas assuming Splinter gave him a double katana, that would require Raph to have spent four additional katanas to roll ten dice; and since Raph doesn't share dice from others, that means he'd have to roll them all himself. And that's to get ten dice on one attack- I don't see how doing it on two attacks is even possible for Raphael- especially since the other two dice would have had to have both been movement to get him into range; the only variation I can see is if Splinter's die for Raph was a double move and all six of his natural dice were katanas. If either of these situations did occur, then you could get off ONE ten dice attack, but that would pretty much be considered a perfect roll in this situation, and I simply can't imagine it happening two games in a row.

None of the other specials can be powered up with additional katanas (or shurikens, in the case of his Hurl Sai special move), and to do 10 damage with a regular strike with Raph would require you to have a total of eight katanas- only possible if every single one of Raph's dice was a katana, and a double katana from Splinter- and he'd already have to be next to Shredder to attack him that way.

I suppose you COULD Have just rolled a bunch of shurikens- you'd need eight shuriken to roll ten dice, but then unless you moved closer, Shredder would get automatic blocks. Raph's dice average 1 shuriken per roll, while Splinter's average 0.6~, which would be an average of 6.6~ shuriken for Raph's six dice plus the one from Splinter; not too terrible of odds of getting eight shuriken with that, but even so, that would still require you to get Raph to exactly two spaces away from Shredder, so you need movement too. And since Raph can't share dice from the other players (save the one granted by meditation), it still seems like an unlikely way to get that much power right off the bat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
First, let's be clear that a turn is when a single player takes his actions. A round is when all players have taken all turns. You clearly mean round when you are saying turn. I don't say that to correct you but to make sure we are on the same page when using terminology.

[EDIT] The more I think about this, the more it sounds like you may not have understood that the villain gets a turn after each hero. So for example, Raph takes a turn, then the villain, then Donnie, then the villain, then Mikey, then the villain, then Splinter, then the villain, then the round is over. Also keep in mind that every character always rolls defense dice when attacked (even though it is not their turn) unless they are attacked by an "indefensible" strike. If you waited until all heroes had their turn for the villain to go, then that would certainly account for the villain getting steamrolled. But if that is not the mistake you made...

I'll assume your math (10-die attacks) is correct; that is, I'm not going to try to figure out what you may have done wrong there.

I don't completely understand your description of what happened. Did the villain get his turns after each hero? If so, what did he do? What cards did he play? Did he move the Foot ninjas forward to slow the heroes down, utilizing the breakaway rules? With Shredder's extra card in hand and with 2 cards played per turn, if Shredder was is so much trouble, how was the villain player not able to get Shredder out of there?

And with Shredder's health of 16 and Defend of 4 against "both" (I'm assuming you mean a ranged and a melee) attacks from Raph, the luck of the roll must have been heavily in favor of the heroes! Did the villain roll no shells at all? Did he not spend any focus on rerolls? Again, with the extra card in Shredder's hand and 4 cards in play at almost any given time, was the villain still not able to add any defense?

Quote:
A focus got spent to spawn another one.

That's fine, but did the villain not spawn any additional Foot at the end of the round? Spawning happens automatically, up to half the figure pool or up to the total number of open spawn spaces, whichever is less. Still, this doesn't happen until the end of the round, so that could not have been your primary issue.

It does sound to me like you did something wrong (or at the very least some rules might have been forgotten that would have given the villain a stronger strategy), but without more information, it's impossible for me to say what that might have been.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turtle Freak
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarioFanaticXV wrote:
what's an "alpha strike"?

An alpha strike in general refers to a massive opening/first attack. What has me confused is how there could be a "both." An alpha strike by definition is one attack; you don't get two. Unless there's a card that lets Raph repeat an attack, but I can't think of one.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I understand now that it's referring to the second round when Raph KO'd shredder.

EDITx2: I agree with Scott. It sounds like you weren't letting the villain take his 4 turns or spawn between rounds. I'm not familiar with the scenario, though, so maybe the villains don't get the normal respawn in this mission?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turtle Freak wrote:
MarioFanaticXV wrote:
what's an "alpha strike"?

An alpha strike in general refers to a massive opening/first attack. What has me confused is how there could be a "both." An alpha strike by definition is one attack; you don't get two. Unless there's a card that lets Raph repeat an attack, but I can't think of one.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I understand now that it's referring to the second round when Raph KO'd shredder.

EDITx2: I agree with Scott. It sounds like you weren't letting the villain take his 4 turns or spawn between rounds. I'm not familiar with the scenario, though, so maybe the villains don't get the normal respawn in this mission?

Apologies for the confusion on my terminology and my apparently atrocious grammar.

We played two games consecutively of this same scenario.

In both games we used the same starting setup. Raph was in front of Shredder in the hero start zone. He rolled (after his reroll for a focus) some combination of a skateboard; 4 chi or double shuriken dice; and then another thing. (Splinter had used Meditation to give him one of Splinter's dice.)

Raph moved to within two squares of Shredder with the skateboard and then proceeded to roll a 10 combat die attack. (During each game.)

After both sides used focus on the ranged attack roll, Shredder ended up taking about 10 points of damage (each game.)

Then the villains would act, with the foot soldiers doing nothing impressive and Shredder in one game moving up to attack Raph or retreating behind a mutagen container.

The rest of the game round proceeded in a skirmish that kills all or all but one foot. (In one game one survived.)

The end of the round, Donnie transfers a focus to Raph, Shredder goes from 0 focus to 1 focus and 3 foot spawn.

First turn of the next round, Raph again hits Shredder for at least 7-10 damage.

Each game, this happened. I was left dumbfounded. Without any terrain and with so few spawn points, there really doesn't seem to be anything for Shredder to do in this fight except take the mostly focused fury of the turtles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Raph doesn't benefit from shared dice (that's why he has more dice than the other turtles) This is your problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougisitosan wrote:
Raph doesn't benefit from shared dice (that's why he has more dice than the other turtles) This is your problem.

I don't see where shared dice was mentioned or implied.

He mentioned Splinter's meditation die which is not the same thing. That die get's added to Raph's die pool and is rolled with the rest of his dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turtle Freak
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LL6869 wrote:
We played two games consecutively of this same scenario.

In both games we used the same starting setup. Raph was in front of Shredder in the hero start zone. He rolled (after his reroll for a focus) some combination of a skateboard; 4 chi or double shuriken dice; and then another thing. (Splinter had used Meditation to give him one of Splinter's dice.)

Raph moved to within two squares of Shredder with the skateboard and then proceeded to roll a 10 combat die attack. (During each game.)

After both sides used focus on the ranged attack roll, Shredder ended up taking about 10 points of damage (each game.)

Then the villains would act, with the foot soldiers doing nothing impressive and Shredder in one game moving up to attack Raph or retreating behind a mutagen container.

The rest of the game round proceeded in a skirmish that kills all or all but one foot. (In one game one survived.)

The end of the round, Donnie transfers a focus to Raph, Shredder goes from 0 focus to 1 focus and 3 foot spawn.

First turn of the next round, Raph again hits Shredder for at least 7-10 damage.

Each game, this happened. I was left dumbfounded. Without any terrain and with so few spawn points, there really doesn't seem to be anything for Shredder to do in this fight except take the mostly focused fury of the turtles.

Wow! Yeah, I can't think of anything you might have done wrong. It looks like a combination of just really smart play (giving Raph an extra double shuriken from Splinter and getting the first attack in before Shredder can play any defense cards) and really lucky action and attack rolls (I've rolled 8 dice before and landed only a couple hits even after a reroll). Were you using regular Shredder or the TPK Shredder (i.e. with boosted stats)? I think he was designed specifically with this mission in mind, but I don't know if even he could withstand attacks like that. Might need to give him +5 health or something or swap out the normal Foot for Elite Foot to balance it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.