Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Clinton Catches Huge Break: SEPTA Strike Ends rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
For those of you who weren't aware of it, mass transit workers in Philadelphia had been on strike for the past week, putting Hillary Clinton's Pennsylvania lead in some jeopardy. The strike ended early Monday morning, so Philadelphia voters (who are overwhelmingly Democratic) will not face snarled traffic getting to the polls or be forced to choose between extended workday commutes and voting.

A national holiday for elections would go a long way toward fixing potential problems like this....

10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
A national holiday could go a long ways toward fixing... problems that don't exist?

What's early voting for, anyway?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
A national holiday could go a long ways toward fixing... problems that don't exist?

What's early voting for, anyway?

It's awesome in states that allow it without an accepted reason.

We could compromise and get rid of one of the others such as Columbus Day.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Manvel
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
A national holiday could go a long ways toward fixing... problems that don't exist?

What's early voting for, anyway?

U.S. voter turnout trails most developed countries
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Erik17 wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
A national holiday could go a long ways toward fixing... problems that don't exist?

What's early voting for, anyway?

U.S. voter turnout trails most developed countries


Perhaps early voting for a year? We could stop at 150% turnout?

Would that be good enough?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Erik17 wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
A national holiday could go a long ways toward fixing... problems that don't exist?

What's early voting for, anyway?

U.S. voter turnout trails most developed countries


Perhaps early voting for a year? We could stop at 150% turnout?

Would that be good enough?


Hey! Person who doesn't like making it easier for people to exercise their right to vote!

Fuck off.
25 
 Thumb up
5.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:
For those of you who weren't aware of it, mass transit workers in Philadelphia had been on strike for the past week, putting Hillary Clinton's Pennsylvania lead in some jeopardy. The strike ended early Monday morning, so Philadelphia voters (who are overwhelmingly Democratic) will not face snarled traffic getting to the polls or be forced to choose between extended workday commutes and voting.

A national holiday for elections would go a long way toward fixing potential problems like this....

I have a serious distaste for unions in general. If you don't like what you are being paid then go find another job. Public sector unions are even worse, stealing from the taxpayer's pockets. With a business, that business might eventually go bankrupt due to being forced by unions to overpay the workers, so the problem eventually corrects itself (the unions destroy the industries that they have the most control over). With the government, it just results in higher taxes.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
I have a serious distaste for unions in general. If you don't like what you are being paid then go find another job.


Such a nice sound bite. But tell me, what's wrong with, "If you don't like what you're being paid for then go gather some like-minded co-workers and rake the business owner over the coals?"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
sfox wrote:
I have a serious distaste for unions in general. If you don't like what you are being paid then go find another job.


Such a nice sound bite. But tell me, what's wrong with, "If you don't like what you're being paid for then go gather some like-minded co-workers and rake the business owner over the coals?"

The same thing that is wrong with, "If you don't have any money, just go steal it from someone else who does".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

How could anyone possibly oppose elections being held on a holiday or weekend?

Oh that's right, the Republicans, who always do worse when people vote.
17 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
A national holiday could go a long ways toward fixing... problems that don't exist?

What's early voting for, anyway?


Don't fight it, Koldfoot. Another holiday would be fantastic. Even if it's only to make sure a Republican isn't elected President.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure it was planned to end that way. I was calling it last week. Anyway they would have gotten injunction if it wasn't.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
jasonwocky wrote:
sfox wrote:
I have a serious distaste for unions in general. If you don't like what you are being paid then go find another job.


Such a nice sound bite. But tell me, what's wrong with, "If you don't like what you're being paid for then go gather some like-minded co-workers and rake the business owner over the coals?"

The same thing that is wrong with, "If you don't have any money, just go steal it from someone else who does".


Uhm, no. ROFL though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

How could anyone possibly oppose elections being held on a holiday or weekend?

Oh that's right, the Republicans, who always do worse when people vote.


"no it's not voter suppression because you're not being shot at"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I'm aware that the concept of a national holiday for elections is a political problem because Republicans (and probably some Democrats in safe seats) would oppose it. How many would be in favor of a trade-off where we get a national holiday and accept a national voter I.D. card? This seems like a winning strategy.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
A national holiday could go a long ways toward fixing... problems that don't exist?

What's early voting for, anyway?

It's awesome in states that allow it without an accepted reason.

We could compromise and get rid of one of the others such as Columbus Day.

Veteran's Day is coming up this Friday. Why don't we combine the two and call it, "What They Fought and Died For" Day?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
jasonwocky wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Erik17 wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
A national holiday could go a long ways toward fixing... problems that don't exist?

What's early voting for, anyway?

U.S. voter turnout trails most developed countries


Perhaps early voting for a year? We could stop at 150% turnout?

Would that be good enough?


Hey! Person who doesn't like making it easier for people to exercise their right to vote!

Fuck off.


That was uncalled for.

Voting is burdensome.

Polling stations in prisons, Tijuana, and drug houses might be a better solution.

We agree on the problem, can't we have some respectful discussion on alternate solutions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Don't you think the bigger break for Clinton was Terry McAuliffe pardoning 60,000 felons just in time for them to vote for Hillary?



Yeah, what a surprise. People supporting a party that actually shows they want them to integrate back into society after they have paid their debt in jail.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
McAuliffe quickly vowed to do so, and has restored the rights to more than 67,000 former felons since the July decision, according to Sam Coleman, his spokesman. Coleman added that of these, nearly 21,000 have registered to vote.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
How many 'Felon' "R" than "D" of former 'Government' sort were there?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.