Popular Tags: [View All]
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
The encounter card Crypt Chill:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

I was idly wondering if this could be used to, say, discard Daisy's Necronomicon (as it is classed as an asset). I quickly noted that the card says "It cannot leave play while it has 1 or more Horror on it." Oh well. However, as a follow-up, I did take a closer look at the Rules Reference text for what constitutes 'control' and noticed this:

Quote:
A player controls the cards located in his or her out-of-play
game areas (such as the hand, deck, discard pile).

and
Quote:
Cards by default enter play under their
owner’s control.

RR, Ownership and Control, p16

So if I'm reading the above correctly, you control cards in your hand, your deck, your discard pile and cards that have entered play. I don't see a distinction mentioned there between you, say, controlling a card in your hand and controlling a card that you've put into play. There appears to be only one flavour of the term 'control'.

Now, (and I am certain this is incorrect!) looking back at the Crypt Chill text -- "choose and discard 1 asset you control" -- do these rules technically combine in such a way that Crypt Chill lets you pick a card to discard from your play area, your hand, your deck(!) and your discard pile(!?)..?

Does the game have a distinction for 'control' that I'm overlooking? Because at the very, very least I obviously should not be able to discard from my discard pile.

For what it's worth, I have been playing Crypt Chill such that I'm forced to discard 1 asset that's been put into play and if no assets are in my play area I take the damage.

EDIT:

And as an additional usage of 'control', Daisy herself's card:

Quote:
✯effect: +0. If You succeed, draw 1 card for each Tome you control.

Which, again, only makes gameplay sense to me if 'control' here refers to cards which have entered play and are still in play.

But, once more, as per RR
Quote:
A player controls the cards located in his or her out-of-play
game areas (such as the hand, deck, discard pile).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ability
Quote:
Card abilities only interact with other cards that are in play, unless the ability specifically references an interaction with cards in an out-of-play area.

Unless it says "discard from your hand" etc., the word "discard" means "discard from play".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Aaaand there it is. Thank you. The world makes sense again (in as much as it can in a Lovecraft environment).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
The GRIM RULE sets things all right again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
its funny to hear people that they get high score in the cultist scenario and you notice they got all rules wrong XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:
its funny to hear people that they get high score in the cultist scenario and you notice they got all rules wrong XD

It's not uncommon when a new game comes out that people make a rules mistake. In LotR it happens often. You can tell when they say how easy it is, you know they played it incorrectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:

Score? What game are you playing?

I have to admit that I'm confused by those who talk about "winning" this game (let alone that there's some sort of "high score").

With each scenario having so many different resolutions and so many potential ongoing effects possible during a scenario, all of which modify the next scenario in some way, it seems to be more about the story and the gaming experience than the "score".

I think gamers who really want to know how well they scored will be disappointed in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
SirRoke wrote:
nightwishpower wrote:

I'm assuming that "score" means "number of Cultists captured."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
Yah, that's how I understood that as well. The more cultists you capture early the better your chances of 'Winning' the campaign (unless you have Elusive or Dynamite Blast or both a Bulletproof Vest and Elder Sign Amulet)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rsdockery wrote:
SirRoke wrote:
nightwishpower wrote:

I'm assuming that "score" means "number of Cultists captured."

Okay. That makes sense. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.