tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Indeed.
So the Exalt tokens are random locations the APP will call for you to draw (and place) and they'll turn the alien die from D8 to D6. I suppose they CANT come up at the final mission.

And now we have the yellow AND the red markers on the base executing the invasion plan event... I suppose the destruction cards which call for elimination of scientists from the game will also call for satellites to be removed from the game.

The description doesn't mention the new alien cards nor the MEC troopers.

I have posted on the FFG forums about the pdf rules but took no answer whatsoever. IIR I asked about them more or less 2 months ago and they said they will be released 2 weeks from the launch.

I also contacted what looks right now to be the only seller on Amazon to ask for a precise date. The seller said it's more likely to come BEFORE Xmas than later but with FFG there's really no guarantee.

Which is... weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GShock112 wrote:

Which suggests they will be making more previews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
GShock112 wrote:

Which suggests they will be making more previews.

As does the bit at the end of the article where they talk about what's in the next preview...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A thing that left me puzzled is the app calling for the exalt tokens.
The way I see it, there have to be tokens for each continent, base, mission, orbit, 3xlabs and if I didn't miss anything that's 10 (and we're not counting the final mission).

I suppose these tokens will be FLIPPED and then taken to be placed in the location of their hidden side but why didn't they have the app choose the token for us instead?

From what I understand, you basically play with the expansion IF you pick an Evolution invasion plan. If you pick a standard invasion plan I SUPPOSE you won't be using the exalt tokens, nor the extra alien cards, etc.

A thing I'd like to understand is about the destruction cards. Since they are called such, I guess they are NOT crisis cards, they don't go in the same deck (which reinforces the prior theory about them becoming 2 different games) but... but the back side of the cards in the showcase is actually the crisis cards back side (triangle and exclamation mark inside), so maybe there's BOTH destruction cards AND new crisis cards.

One thing is sure, if you have to take into account not just the D6 which is a completely different chance of failure but also the yellow base damage markers, this game becomes EXTREMELY challenging (you get the yellow PLUS the red invasion plan troubles).

The role of the Chief Scientist has suddenly become the most important (and still the most downvoted and misunderstood) of the game.

Dang it... curiosity killed the cat... I'm still alive but BARELY!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GShock112 wrote:
A thing that left me puzzled is the app calling for the exalt tokens.
The way I see it, there have to be tokens for each continent, base, mission, orbit, 3xlabs and if I didn't miss anything that's 10 (and we're not counting the final mission).

I suppose these tokens will be FLIPPED and then taken to be placed in the location of their hidden side but why didn't they have the app choose the token for us instead?

6 continents, 2 squad slots, 3 labs and 1 orbit would be 12 tokens. In principle, you could also split Base Defense and Mission into 3, but the preview suggests otherwise.

For the app to pick tokens, it would have to know what was left in the pool. Sure, that's easy enough to start with, but as soon as players have the opportunity to return a token to the pool, you either need to spend time feeding the app additional data for it to track it, or to not let the app make the decision of which token to deploy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does the app need to really know?
If you pick a random token, it's all random, it's not about the app picking it. I'm saying it could have been easier to build ONE token and then place it in the random spot the app tells you. With one token you have all places.

Surely it's a touch of class you can use a success to remove an exalt token. This is gonna be one of those dramatic choices where you can win and lose an entire game if you pick the wrong one.

I've seen some people play with the RED damage to the base only applied if the marker HITS it and not also if it is surpassed. In my case either the marker lands on the RED or passes it, I still apply the invasion plan event... I'm wondering if this is the case for the YELLOW markers and the destruction cards. Since these cards impact asset cards (which are critically important)I almost feel the need for an event or a tech card (or a mission prize) that actually heals the damage to the base.

Also... since these cards are assimilable to the crisis cards in a way, I'm wondering if they foresaw a way to stop their effects other than using the 2 credits (I can already see my chief scientist discarding cards like crazy to try to get the Elerium tech in his hand, lol).

Well the time is coming... let's hope they come out with a new article before Dec 1st. In THEORY there's a chance the game could be released BEFORE Xmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GShock112 wrote:
Does the app need to really know?
If you pick a random token, it's all random, it's not about the app picking it. I'm saying it could have been easier to build ONE token and then place it in the random spot the app tells you. With one token you have all places.

If you get 2 Exalt placements per round, then after the 12 (or however many) locations have been hit in the first 6 rounds, from round 7 onwards, you need to repeat locations (or to have repeated locations in the first 6 rounds). For 4 Exalt per round, you run out of new locations after 3 rounds. Changing the number of locations available also changed how long it takes to exhaust them, but less so.

If you have a pool of 12 location-specific tokens, then you'll always hit a location that isn't currently affected. For the app to mimic that, you need to track which tokens are currently available.

If you're happy to change things, you could have the app just pick locations at random without concern for which ones are currently affected - either stacking (generic) tokens on the location, or just ignoring the repeat hits. The former can push players toward effectively abandoning specific locations once they get 3-4 tokens on them; the latter toward not removing early Exalt tokens in order to waste later Exalt placements.

Of course, if you're not worried about avoiding repeat hits, you can still choose them in a non-app way by including a custom d12 in the box and rolling it for each token placement.

I can see an argument for selective placements using the app - for example, incorporating them into the Domination plan so the continent that gets hammered by UFOs is also more/less likely to be infiltrated by Exalt - or, if you track Exalt locations in the app, Exalt-infiltrated continents are more/less likely to be chosen to hammer. You do still need to decide how much tracking to do in the app.

There's also a decision to make about whether a removed Exalt presence should be possible to reinstate - if cleared Exalt tokens just go back into the pool, then once all 12 tokens are placed, removing one just means that location will be hit next time Exalt infiltrates; if cleared Exalt tokens are permanently removed, then clearing one means that board location is permanently safe, and there's a real chance that Exalt could be eliminated entirely well before the Final Mission drops, making anti-Exalt tech less valuable...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yep I understand what you mean and agree.
Hopefully they'll have patched the app when the game is released so we can see how possibly we can impact the new gameplay with variations of sort.

I think the repeating is not an issue and we can't run out of exalt tokens. If you really don't use a success to remove the token during the task rolling I think the XCom cannot win. Even the easiest and (apparently) non critical rolls of the laboratories, with the D8 are a thing and with the D6 are a totally different thing. You could take a 1-success tech with the D6 and ONE scientist but with two successes to make, it's really much harder if not almost impossible. I imagine the presence of tokens from the previous rounds also need more resources allocated (which means more expenses and also higher losses in case of failure) but how the app will choose when to draw the tokens and how many in every round I suppose will be randomized and according to the difficulty level.

Curiously, taking random tokens isn't as easy as it seems. It's gonna take a bag, put the tokens inside and that's it because the board is already crammed enough with stuff you knock everywhere with the dice. As a matter of fact, one could place the face-down tokens, shuffle them, then put them in a line and take them in that sorting order but I find it not practical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.