Subject: Orléans review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seph North
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I found this an enjoyable and moderately complex eurogame. I very much liked the “deck building” aspect of the game, where you add extra workers to your pool of worker pieces and draw them at a random from a bag. Since this is not based on cards and decks I think this mechanic needs a different name, I’m going to call it “sack building”.

One major flaw of the game is the way in which players all choose their actions simultaneously, then execute the actions one at a time. Since the action choosing is simultaneous, yet the actions of one player can affect the actions of another, this could result in two players deadlocked. The choice of the action a player wants to perform could depend on the choice of their opponent and vice-versa.

I think an easy fix for this is for players to have to announce “done” one at a time, starting with the first player and continuing clockwise. Once someone has announced this they may not change their worker placement any more, so the next player can make their final decision and finish their selection and so on.

I went with my instinct on playing this. It has worker placement and I noticed from the victory point scoring that there some parts of scoring that multiply together. So I went with the same instinct I go with in many worker placement games – get extra workers ASAP. This works well in many worker placement games eg Agricola or Russian Railroads. I also focused heavily on the score multipliers. I won against three other players, one of which was new to the game like me while the other two had played once before.

One unusual thing I noticed is that no-one pursued the blue workers until the very end of the game (and I think only then because their worker draws left them without better options). I don’t know if we all collectively made a mistake in ignoring these workers or if we all rightly saw them as a dud strategy. If I play this again I will look into the blue workers more closely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is definitely more of a session report. It seems like this is just a recap of a single play, right?
iamseph wrote:

One major flaw of the game is the way in which players all choose their actions simultaneously, then execute the actions one at a time. Since the action choosing is simultaneous, yet the actions of one player can affect the actions of another, this could result in two players deadlocked. The choice of the action a player wants to perform could depend on the choice of their opponent and vice-versa.

I believe it's pointed out in the rules that players must select in turn order in situations where players feel that another player's action selection could influence their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seph North
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I did talk more about the play experience more in this one than usual and it was a short review. But I think mentioning the experience of play can give added information to a review, explaining where my conclusions come from and areas I have not explored in depth.

mfaulk80 wrote:
I believe it's pointed out in the rules that players must select in turn order in situations where players feel that another player's action selection could influence their own.

Oh? I missed that. Can you cite page number?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iamseph wrote:
I did talk more about the play experience more in this one than usual and it was a short review. But I think mentioning the experience of play can give added information to a review, explaining where my conclusions come from and areas I have not explored in depth.

mfaulk80 wrote:

Oh? I missed that. Can you cite page number?

Bottom of page 12 in the TMG rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.